Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat roof mounts

Options
  • 20-05-2024 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Anyone got experience with them, which is good/bad etc?

I don't like any of the ones with rocks/ballast, too heavy as it's a wood frame building and about 5 degrees slope

The finish is resin & fibre glass so I don't see why I can't screw the rails directly into the battens with a bunch of these https://midsummer.ie/buy/fastensolpitched/F-HB-WP ? And they seem adjustable too so I can change the angle a bit too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi ya, is that into a residential roof now or an out building? I wouldn't be a fan of perforating the external finish on any flat roof at all. Plus it seems to imply that these are for corrugated roofs rather than flat... ?

Bolts are suitable for fixing mounting rail to metal or corrugated cement roofs with wooden supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Residential, I know they aren't bespoke made for such a roof but just thinking of what "could" work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Try the valk3box.

The other thread on ground mounts had links to valk systems

Found this

https://www.nicholsonsts.com/articles/installing-solar-panels-on-grp-roofs/

which seems to be specially made for these types of roofs but I really doubt I will find stock in Ireland for it

This is crazy weight added to the roof, 120kg per panel so 720kg of just tiles plus another 120kg the panels. If it wasn't timber frame it would be ok and I'm sure if can take it of course but I wouldn't want the extra stress on the roof.

And these fibre glass roofs are also very smooth, I'd be worried the panels sliding off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BobMcBob

I have a single ply membrane warm roof and emailed the manufacturer for a solution, they sent me the brochure,

Problem is I can't get a solar panel installer to use it ll, either they've not replied , or they want to use a ballast system, which I'm not sure would be great for the insulation. Also since I have 3 phase and want to use a DIY battery I am struggling to get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Unfortunately if the installers don't have certification or even faith in installing the product then they aren't likely to want to install it as they'll potentially be liable for any future leaks. Try contacting the manufacturer and see if they have approved installers in Ireland.

I actually quoted that system for myself and if you want a laugh here's the price:

I think 28 pieces is overkill, probably only need 12 realistically, 3 per rail times 4 rails, even then it's mad expensive.

Spoke to the roofer that laid down the roof down for me and he says the roof hanger bolts should be fine as long as they're screwed into the rafters, these ones https://catalogue.k2-systems.com/hanger-bolt-solidrail-m10/2000122

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BobMcBob

That's good to see a quote, not so good on the price!

The hanger bolts look good, but the description states fibre cement roof. So no good to me, it was hard enough to get house insurance with my roof, I suspect that I would not be covered unless I used the proper system.

Looking at your quote I think I will have to start getting information on compressive loads on insulation and the weights of the ballast used

Think I had a look at the ballast/bricks option and it was basically adding 120kg per panel on top of the roof, + panel and mounting system weight, not a fan of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭conor_mc

The ballast calculators are a bit over-engineered imo, certainly at 120kg per panel! wind deflection etc. can play a big part, so putting say east-west panels back to back in a tent shape is more streamlined than all panels facing the same direction with exposed undersides.

Let's not forget that grp roof is basically an ice ring in terms of slippery

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Fair point. Wonder if there are other ways of increasing the coefficient of friction besides increasing ballast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I'll be installing 4-6 panels on a flat grp roof. Was also considering hanger bolts, but it I really wanted to avoid putting bolts through the fibreglass, I could look at running a couple of custom made metal rails from parapet to parapet. Do you have an outside the box method to mount panels without disturbing the fibreglass?

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭DC999

Could you somehow brace the ballasts to the side wall off the house? That's assuming there is another storey of the house above the flat roof. Then you won't have holes in the flat roof, but would in the wall as you would for any other fixing like gutters, satellite dish….

I was thinking that alright, a 3.6m rail would basically cover the width of the roof and maybe then I could come up to meet it with a vertical rail from where the fascia will be.

Problem I see that there is no support in the middle

(roof not painted yet just resin)

The K2 rail system also has climber rails so could make a box out of them, run the rails in landscape and portrait and then panels on top.

I did a test with one of the hanger bolts, through an osb sheet and it makes a very nice seal I must say, pilot hole of 7mm through the rafter and 14mm through the osb (though it wouldn't hurt to fill it with silicone as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bunderoon

41mm x 41mm Unistrut is very strong and has loads of configurations. If you have an angle grinder with cutting disk, you could make two trusses.

Post edited by bunderoon on

I think I might do the following which should do it (in theory)

Run 3 rails across first, the red squares are where the hanger bolts will be which sit outside of the room below.

Then use 4 climber rails vertically on which the panels will bolt into, pray 🙏

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you're doing that you could create a tilt versus having flat

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Not sure I can as those climber sets need to sit flush on the two rails?

Unless I can use these: https://midsummer.ie/buy/k2fixings/2002401

But not sure if the panels would shadow themselves as they would be stuck together

• Advertisement
Advertisement