Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Repair quote

Options
  • 20-05-2024 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,683 ✭✭✭✭

The joys of cars

All of a sudden have a small oil leak at the crank shaft seal, Timing belts needs to be done so makes sense to do it all at once ,

Been quote between 800/900 its that right ?? sounds maybe a little excessive , unless water pump is thrown in to

Oh its an Octavia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Water pump is replaced anyway as part of the timing belt change procedure. 3-400 euro is the average cost. The parts required - timing belt kit and water pump - are cheap enough but there's a fair amount of labour involved.

Unfortunately, a leaky crank shaft seal is probably the worst place to have an oil leak in an engine. Getting access to it requires removal of parts including, in some cases, the gearbox or part of it so the cost of labour will be high. So, the estimated cost you've been quoted sounds about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

On the bright side it's an Octavia so stuff like that is a small investment, they run forever when looked after.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Is it the front or rear crank seal?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,683 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Advertisement