Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valuations Office

Options
  • 20-05-2024 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am planning to visit Dublin next week and go to the Valuations Office. I am hoping to track changes in land (and house) ownership in two townlands (different counties) from the earliest records forward. 20 houses in one and ten in the other. How long should this take, i.e. should I book 2 or maybe 3 appointments in the same day (if I am even allowed to). I note the point about a lack of a toilet at the Valuations Office!!

If this would probably take less than a day, is there anywhere else in Dublin I should visit to get information that I can’t get online. My relatives would all have been rural

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just book one of the longer slots. Most of the counties are digitised and available as images on a computer, so once you're into the records, it doesn't take forever to go through. I usually photograph the whole townland with my tablet and then do the analysis at home.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭WHL

Thanks pinkypinky. I will try to get an afternoon slot. Is there anywhere else in Dublin that I should visit. I do have some research to do in Griffith Barracks so I could go there I guess - or get a later train!

In my experience, research expands to take the time you give it, so if you can't think of a particular thing, then I wouldn't try squash something else in.

Do you mean this Griffith Barracks? I'm not aware of being able to do research in there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Apologies pinkypinky. I am wrong. It is Cathal Brugha barracks in Rathmines. I am looking into the records for one of the WW2 Look Out Posts.

Ah right! Might be worth mailing them to get advice beforehand in case they can pull documents for you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Yes. I have booked it already. They had the logs sitting on the desk waiting for me last September so hopefully that will happen again

Advertisement