Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small claim to have the cost of removed property

Options
  • 20-05-2024 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭

Hello, I have an odd situation where I'm having a dispute with someone who emptied my septic tank.

They removed a working part of my septic tank and replaced it with a new one without my go ahead and of course charged me for it.
    I spent some time disputing this cost and other parts of the cost. A big part of the problem was because they didn't tell me that vat was not included in the quoted price, but in the end it was causing me too much aggravation to continue arguing with the man and I paid in full.

Due to the dispute about the charges for the work that was done this person became very argumentative and threatened to come back and put the waste back into my septic tank since I wasn't happy with the situation.
    They demanded I provide another quote to show that their prices were reasonable, I called another company and the total cost was around 200 euro cheaper than him.

During the maintenance they were also lent a screwdriver and accidentally took it when they were leaving.

All I want now is that they return the part they took out and also the screwdriver but despite saying they would drop it back to the house two separate times, they didn't do it. I don't believe they plan to ever do it and instead drag it out until I give up.
    Because of this I'm looking into other options.

Is such a situation even suitable for small claims court? If not do I have any other options?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Regarding the replaced part - what did it cost as a percentage of the total cost?

What monetary value would you you put on the old part?

Is further hassle with this character worth it?

Anyway, to a layman, you may have a possible Small Claims case. It would cost you €25 I think. You may get a result in that he may decide to return the part before the hearing date. The process will probably annoy him… and he's already threatened to re-install it.…

I definitely would not include the screwdriver in the claim, as it would make the whole thing seem petty - imo.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Panda

Thanks for the reply. Including VAT, the replaced part was 31% of the total.

It's hard to put a cost on the old part. It was installed by the previous owner of the house, could be 5 years, could be 10 years old... Going by the brand and model a new one would be 325 including VAT.
    At a guess I'd put it as 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I would say let it go and move on. You are throwing good time and money after bad, and you may invite more trouble on yourself than the thing is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Move on,not worth your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Panda

Thanks for the advice. Just really aggravating myself at this point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement