Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 days in Berlin best way to fill it?

Options
  • 19-05-2024 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭

I have 2 full days and nights in Berlin next month and I'd love to hear some tips on the best things to do. I'm trying to make the absolute most of my time by hitting the streets early and cramming in as many interesting things as possible. For context, I like museums, trying new foods, viewing towers and interesting tours. Not pushed about nightclubs or bars. Strictly tourist activities.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gossamerfabric

open top bus to see as much as possible and visit what interests you along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I did the Fat Tyre cycling tour and it was great as Berlin is a big city so cycling is a good way to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

This is probably the best free walking tour I have been on across europe ( may have been the guide but I gave him 20 quid)

https://www.neweuropetours.eu/sandemans-tours/berlin/free-tour-of-berlin/

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭myfreespirit

A visit to the Television Tower with it's revolving restaurant at the top is well worth doing.

Or, a trip to see Sansoucci palace in Potsdam, along with other royal palaces is a good option. Potsdam is easily reached from Berlin and is a pleasant town to spend a few hours in.

The Museuminsel in the heart of the city has several museums and art galleries, including the Pergamon, which shouldn't be missed, if you like museums.

Hope you enjoy Berlin, it's a fascinating city to visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Free walking tours available which are great. One used to go from Starbucks opposite the Adlon Hotel.

Some great museums also, most of which are on Museum Island

Some bits to research or look up - some lesser known but very interesting……

TV Tower, DDR Viewing Tower, Berlin Story Bunker, Bebelplatz, walk the route of the wall, see the wall itself obviously, Holocaust Memorial, Jewish Museum, East Bank Gallery, Tiergarten……so much to see and do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

If you can prebook a visit to the Reichstag (it’s free but you need to book in advance and have a ticket!) I found this very interesting as goes into the history and views from the top stunning. Tours go late into the evening too with an audio guide

https://www.bundestag.de/en/visittheBundestag/dome/registration-245686

Also did a boat tour from near the cathederal which was a great way to see everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TaliyahGarrett

Hey there! Two days in Berlin sounds fantastic, you can definitely pack a lot into that timeframe. Since you're an early riser and love museums, hitting the ground running is a great plan. Here's what worked for me when I was in Berlin:

Museum Island: this is a must for any history buff. If you can only swing one museum, the Pergamon Museum is incredible. It has fascinating ancient Middle Eastern artifacts, including the massive Pergamon Altar. I spent ages just ogling that thing! [Museum Island Berlin Germany]. Start at Museum Island, then head to the Brandenburg Gate for that iconic photo op. In the afternoon, explore the Reichstag Building for some stunning panoramic city views (be sure to book your free ticket online in advance). Then take a walking tour focused on the Berlin Wall. I did a Bernauer Strasse walk that included a section of the preserved Wall and some interesting stories about escape attempts. There are also great evening food tours that combine delicious eats with historical insights - two birds, one stone!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭vswr

You could spend that long waiting in silence in the queue for Berghain only to be refused… you're technically not clubbing and the selfies will get TONS of likes on Insta from TONS of people you've never heard of

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

There is a spy museum in potsdamer platz that is worth a visit. We bought a book of tickets for 5 attractions but I think it was a deal where you bought 5 but got one free and these were offered at the attractions. I went with my kids so we done a lego store, spy museum, dungeons, aquarium and madam tusauds so that kept us busy for a few days. We did not bother with the aquarium after but the rest were very enjoyable. Open top tourist bus was good too and subway system makes getting around very easy. At night we went to Alexander Platz where there was free street entertainment and a good buzz about the place. You can enjoy a drink and something to eat there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah the reichstag is incredible even if they are in session, also enjoyed the DDR museum as its very interactive and an accurate representation of life behind the iron curtain, the topography of terror is a must see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The Stasi Museum is very interesting and the now-closed Tempelhof Airport gives tours (pre-booked). Both are very convenient by public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Museum Island - the Pergamon in particular is well worth seeing. Wall of Ishtar really is something else.

The boat tours are great too. Have a mosey, the place is packed full of interesting sights

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Do a segway tour. You'll see all the hot spots in a few hours. And its great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭furiousox

It's a great city.

Off the top of my head, visit the reichstag, brandenberg gate, the cathedral, checkpoint charlie and the tv tower.

If you're a U2 fan you might want to do a selfie at zoo station 😃

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

100 or 200 standard bus passes most landmarks fir the standard cost of a,bus ticket. Most mesuens galleries are in museuminsel (museum island) neat Alexanderplatz, can do four or five in a day easily.

Tower - SiegaSaule (victory column) in Tiergarten or TV tower in Akexanderplt. The latter's a bit pricey, only do it on a clear day.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Check the opening hours of things, some museums open late one day a week. That way you get something to see after the others are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Heading myself and booked that walking tour. Been twice to Berlin already just after wall came down and then 20 years later and noticed the big diff esp in old East Berlin. Now going back and staying in Alexanderplatz, stayed that area before and enjoyed it so staying same area again. Enjoyed old East Berlin better as more character to it than West

The Bundestag dome not open day we are there so I have seen it but OH has not so thats unfortunate. 😔

The walking tour should cover most of the well known sites but whats best places to eat and drink around the area, avoiding any Irish Pubs (why to to Berlin to drink in an Irish pub.) We are of the older vintage, no that old, so my days of Techno clubs and love Parades done and dusted so wont be doing them

Any other suggestions as there for 2 half days and try to see as much as can without killing ourselfs

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Canal/River trip, maybe? Plenty of hop on/hop off points.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,168 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you were ever in old East Germany, the DDR museum is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭vswr

If you don't mind a train journey out of the city…

Teufelsberg - Old NSA listening station, now art gallery. https://www.visitberlin.de/en/teufelsberg

Or

Sachsenhausen Concentration camp https://sachsenhausentour.de/

Advertisement