Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Providers and PPPoE

Options
  • 19-05-2024 5:47pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking about this the other day, how many Irish providers are using PPPoE? As speeds are now at 2gb are we going to start to see issues with performance because of the overhead and under powered routers? My setup is a UDM Pro and on a Vodafone 2Gb an I typically max out at 1800/210

DHCP
    Eir

PPPoE
    Vodafone
    Digiweb
    Sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

I asked this before, and as far as I know, Eir & Pure are pretty much the only ones using DHCP/IPoE. All others use PPPoE. I saw this post on Reddit a while ago which says it's for practical purposes, which does make sense but I don't know if it is accurate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Thanks for this! Neither offer 2gb broadband, bit odd as Vodafone offer it over Open Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Glaceon

That's an interesting read. Since Eir distribute their IP blocks on the old telephone exchange level, it probably makes it easier for them to use IPoE than the other providers.

Advertisement