Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH Splicing complete, when should it be green to go?

Options
  • 18-05-2024 1:59pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So im living in a small cul de sac and recently we got fibre cables added underground.

The final stage was carried out Tuesday gone "splicing" i believe its called.

Since then ive been checking availability via the online checkers but only 100MB VDSL is still showing up which im on for years.

Im itching to get something faster for a long time now , im wondering when should i be seeing it as available?

I rang eir about this and they said 24-48 hours but as of yet nothing.

Trying not to worry but we have been waiting so long and it will save me many trips to Dublin if i can get 500MB +.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭kaahooters

just because its spliced dosent mean its finished, your section is complete, but, it then has to go back to the exchange, and then turned up on equipment. could be a month, could be a year. all depends on what the schedual is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah im beginning to realize this now.

The guys carrying out the work said i should be live with days hence my query.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭batistuta9

@Dcully check on the eir website, i was able to see from it when I could order from.

Ive been checking daily for weeks now, ill give up until i hear more.

Apparently the whole town is done here so God knows when they go live.

Took around 2 months for us. But I was able to see on the eir site when it would go live, airwire might've shown this too but the others or comparison sites didn't. That's why i said check eir specifically it'll let you know how long you've to wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Possibly seven months to go. That's about how long I spent looking at the black waterproof DP connection box on the pole across the road for, before getting a connection.

No indication whatsoever when i check thei eir site, just says whats available currently ie 100MB VDSL which im on for years.

The funny thing is on the NBI site it says we are not in the planning yet the work is complete, hard to know who/what to believe.

edit:

just checked open eir site and got the following

"Presently you can order Fibre to the Cabinet (with speeds up to 100Mbps).

The exciting news is that we are planning to enhance the service by offering Fibre to the Home, which provides a full fibre gigabit connection with speeds of up to 2Gbps. The construction process for this upgrade has already started in your area.

Unfortunately, due to regulatory restrictions, we are unable to provide estimated timelines. Nevertheless, once our construction is completed, two important things will occur. Firstly, we will inform each residence within the area that build has completed via a door drop, and secondly, our retail broadband providers will initiate their marketing campaigns to inform you that Fibre to the Home is available for ordering."

NBI is for rural areas that openeir or siro don't cover, so ignore that. Just keep an eye on the eir site & you'll see it soon

Neither of those two things happened here so don't be waiting for that

Just to add to this, im living in a cul de sac with 8 houses.

There are 6 older houses along the lane way which are all served and live with SIRO over 6 months now.

They are connected above ground via old school poles and lines.

We are in newer houses at the end and are served underground and my understanding its open eir that will be providing to us and not SIRO.

Just checked this morning , not showing as available on all sellers yet though but great news finally.

Now i must decide on a seller, i swore id never go back to eir as i had lots of issues before i got VDSL but this should be infinitely more reliable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement