Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exemptions - Do they expire

Options
  • 18-05-2024 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any insights or knowledge of primary degree exemptions. It there a time limit where they expire.

I did primary degree about 10 years ago in Accountancy as a mature student and have been working in the field for about 15 years. For one reason or another I have not gone on and completed the professional exams. 4 I think for ACCA. I would like to tick the box so to speak. Both from a professional and personal standpoint.

My current job does not require it, but you never know what's around the corner.

I will looking at CIMA I think recently and it appeared my degree was too old to qualify for exemptions.

Anyone know if that's the case with the other Professional bodies. Or maybe I picked it up incorrectly.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

For many of the subjects, the technical content, e.g., IFRS etc will have moved on, making it unlikely your exemptions still hold. However, you may get SOME exemptions, it’s not usually all or nothing. Best advice really is to check on the relevant websites of CAI, ACCA etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

CAI exemptions expire after 10 years. I started with no exemptions by starting too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Happened myself I had to start ACCAs from the start. The expiration was 7 years I think mine were out 8/9 years.

I should have started them earlier, don't know why I didn't as I'd probably be finished now!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Cushtie

So I think I might be in luck, I phoned ACCA and it seems my expemptions are still active on my account with them, I registered originally in 2019 to start the exams but never did any.

My Account was suspended , but they have reopened it to allow me to pay the exemption fees and a re reg fee. I specifically asked if the exemptions were still OK and they confirmed same.

Now to decide if I will do it or not. I'm 48 now.

Anyone done it this late in life?

Advertisement