Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking Celebrities

Options
  • 17-05-2024 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭

Seems to be a new trend over on Instagram and Tiktok after someone at the Met Gala said "let them eat cake" and people are also angry that the folks at this party paid 75 k for a ticket to attend it.

I think one of the Kardashians lost a couple of million followers but unless this really takes off I doubt any of them will be too bothered about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’ve Mark Zuckerberg blocked on Facebook, so now he can’t monetise my online activity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Okay start at the beginning. Who said let them eat cake and who were they saying it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yep, poster has provided no context. I haven't a clue what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Penn

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/haley-kalil-met-gala-video-apology-b2545044.html

Influencer Haley Kalil has issued an apology after facing backlash for a TikTok video of herself taken on the night of the 2024 Met Gala.

Last week, the social media star was criticised online after she posted a video of herself dressed up for this year’s Met Gala – which took place in New York City on Monday 6 May. In the clip, which is now deleted, Kalil could be seen in an elaborate, 18th century-style gown and headdress to commemorate the theme of the Met Gala, “Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion”.

Along with the video, the model chose an audio from Sofia Coppola’s 2006 film Marie Antoinette, in which actor Kirsten Dunst proclaims: “Let them eat cake!”

The viral clip was immediately described as “tone deaf” by critics online, who pointed out the irony of the lavish and expensive Met Gala occurring as pro-Palestine protestors organised outside the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Basically, some influencer went to the Met Gala (or some publicity event for the Met Gala rather than the actual thing itself) in a dress inspired by Marie Antoinette, and used a sound on her video where she mimed "Let them eat cake". So people on Tiktok got p*ssed because of how tone deaf it was with the cost of living and the events in Palestine, and how she claimed in her apology video that she's just a normal person. People pointed out how she flaunts her wealth in other videos and her apartment costs $17,000 per month in rent.

So it became a "You earn your money because of us and we're struggling financially with the cost of living" thing, and there was a push to get people to not only unfollow, but block celebrities and influencers who don't use their platform for causes such as Palestine, because blocking them means they have less reach when advertisers are looking at data/metrics and therefore they'll earn less money.

It gained traction for a few days, and celebs like Kim Kardashian (or their social media team) were kind of spotted buying new followers to replace the ones blocking her (because her follower count would dip and then there'd be a sharp increase before dipping again etc). But the whole thing has pretty much petered out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The amount of mankind's energy wasted worrying about absolute nonsense really is staggering sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, I don't disagree with the sentiment behind it. The entire culture around celebrity and influencers deserves to be taken down a whole bunch of notches, and the risk of being blocked by people and losing a little bit of money did cause some celebs and influencers to suddenly start speaking out about Palestine, which is pretty pathetic on their part. And the fact the whole "Let them eat cake" thing was so perfectly on the nose was just hilarious.

But yeah, the whole thing has had about as much impact as a fart outside; those closest to it might have felt it a little, but it's disappeared with no real tangible effects (bar the influencer who inadvertantly started the whole thing and has basically sharted herself).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's hard to think of something so insipid and vain as the Met Gala. The idea that someone should apologise for saying something at an event designed to foment increased materialism and consumption in an age where these things are contributing to the deterioration of the planet just misses the point.

The "let them eat cake" influencer seems to have perfectly captured the spirit of the occasion from what I can make out.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

If you are moronic enough to elevate a celebrity to where they are you are the problem. I wouldn't be saying I'm a celebrity purveyor but I think Cillian Murphy and his attitude towards it all is the correct.

He's an actor, he owes you a performance and if he does that then you can be happy with his performance and say "he really made that film the spectacle it was". But that's about as far as it should go. He is just a man with a unique powerful talent, but take away the acting, he is just Cillian Murphy.

They're just singers, actors, designers etc. Stop elevating them beyond that. Pathetic that another person would ascribe value to another just because they're known well for something. Just because they're known or "popular" doesn't give them any sort of higher value. They will die like me and you, they are just people. It's just indulging in vanity and more than alarming you aren't focused on the life that does matter, yours.

So when some well known person rocks up at the Met Gala in a dress or a suit of some fancy sort, sorry why do Igaf? I'll be interested in their art but them as a person? why do I care, neither should any of you.

Advertisement