Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor car damage, claim or not

Options
  • 17-05-2024 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Recently I hit slightly touched the wall at my own house causing 800 quid of damage as quoted by the garage based on a non insurance claim. Am I better off paying that myself or claiming on my insurance from a long term perspective. IE will my insurance go up because of it. no claims etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

Usually, yes - because of the loss of the NCB.

How much it goes up depends on the NCB percentage you've earned plus whatever your Insurance company was going to raise premiums by in any case; and then you may have paid extra to protect your NCB and any other gimmick your company uses.

That said, it's impossible to put an amount on it but you know your premium and NCB percentage so should be easy enough to guesstimate. Remember, the increased premiums affect subsequent years as well until you rebuild your NCB to whatever it was to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dr Devious

So I'd probably be better off paying it myself, just to be sure, I'd be paying the excess anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭GSBellew

There is no point in claiming for that, it will cost you more in the long run than just paying yourself.

Advertisement