Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Cable installation

Options
  • 16-05-2024 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

I’m almost ready it make the switch to Vodafone. Broadband package only no tv or sports add on for €30/ month for first 6 and €40/month there after for a 500mb connection. 
    My query/ fear is based on what I have witnessed in other peoples houses who have recently switched. Absolutely shocking routing of cables, location of routers etc……has anyone had any bad experiences of the ‘installation engineers’ choice of cable route etc……currently we have fibre cable on the street and copper/Co-axial from there to an external box on the wall and it then goes up to the attic and down to the existing virgin media ‘box’. 

Does anyone know if there is any service out there (maybe an electrician) who I could get to do the cabling in advance or even better is it possible to purchase the necessary fibre cable that they use in advance and do a DIY installation before they arrive so all that is necessary is to ‘plug it into’ the new Vodafone box/router/modem..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Unfortunately the ONT inside the house is the network demarcation point on your property, therefore it's the responsibility of the network technician or sub-contractor to run the cable to that point from the pole or chamber distribution point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A neighbour was getting fibre installed 6 months ago and his installer was offering to use a new adhesive trunking which they could run effectively anywhere in the house and install the ONT off of that. Think it was VM who were installing.

oh, thinking about it now, he was paying to have it moved, so maybe they are more flexable with the ONT location when they are working on your coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Thanks for the above so far. Another question. Do you think there is a way of keeping the existing coaxial which runs from the chamber in the footpath outside the house and within the house and just hook up the new Vodafone provided ‘box’ to the coaxial cable as is currently the situation with the virgin media ‘box’. My existing connection speed is really good and runs everything very well…..Leaving the last 20m as copper coaxial is hardly a big deal…?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

No, the technology is different, fibre optic cable all the way to the ONT.

Virgin's network is a hybrid fibre coaxial network, the other three wholesale fibre networks are passive fibre from the OLT all the way to the ONT in the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Thanks again for above…..call me ott but I have serious reservations about how Vodafone’s sub contractor will do the cable routing and mounting based on what I’ve seen in other places it’s been done, absolute crazy and lazy approach…..they just want to get in/out asap and on to next house to get as many done per day as possible…..I will just have to make sure to be present on the date the guy arrives to do it……I don’t want conduits or bare cables stuck to walls eves/soffits, routed randomly etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement