Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to source steel for marble table top support

Options
  • 16-05-2024 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to upcycle a piece of marble table top as an outdoor bbq table top. Dimensions are 1650 x 900mm x 40 mm.

My plan is to put it in a corner in the garden and use steel, rather than blocks, to hold it up. For aesthetic reasons primarily, but also to maximise storage space beneath.

I'm based in Dublin, and I'm wondering where could I go to get what i need made up for me. I think what i need is pretty straightforward:

• 1 x 1600mm l-shaped steel with holes drilled that would be drilled into the back wall and support the long side of the stone, tabletop glued onto the steel
    • 1 x 800 l-shaped steel for the side abutting the wall, drilled to wall, tabletop glued to steel
    • 1 x outside "leg", with plate at the top to distribute load, and plate at the bottom to drill leg into patio

Anyone care to advise on whether this solution could be improved upon? Want to keep it simple as possible.

And anyone have suggestions where I might get the steel made up. I'm near Ballymount.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Well, you're in the right area for getting something made up as there's lots of steel fab places around - The L pieces you ref are called angle iron/steel

Stainless steel would be more expensive than mild steel (galvanised) but will never rust - The m/s galv option will eventually rust/degrade but having said that, it's not really visible. Maybe just have the leg in s/s

I'd do a little drawing or list of what I want and either call in or email to ask them for a quote. Bear in mind that the bigger the company the less likely they'll want the job - Calling in is prob better as face to face works

Google steel fabrication

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks, really helpful advice. Not overly worried about rusting, it adds character!

In drawing it up, would I need to know or calculate the thickness of the pieces of steel? I'd be at a bit of a loss on that! But I know the lengths, where I'd want holes drilled etc.

You could go with the most common angle steel used which is 50mm (2") and its thickness is about 6mm - You prob don't need the the full 1.6mtr at the back. 2 x 500mm or 3 x 400mm could work

Like I say, calling in and having a chat with a lad would be ideal - He might even have other solutions

• Registered Users Posts: 31,035 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IMO you need to support all four sides, and probably a spine along the middle, as it needs to support the weight of at least one adult standing on it to be safe.

Marble is weak under tension.

I recently dismantled a table this size that was made of approx 5mm box steel, braced and welded. There was ply under a thick tiled surface.

Some food for thought

Here is a pic of a piece of 50mm angle at work. It's holding up a breakfast bar that is 2.2mtrs x 600mm x 40mm solid oak (so it's heavy) Pic is one of just two brackets on the long side - the end has one bracket (half the size of the one in pic) and there are 2 legs

That was a bit of angle I had in the shed - Not pretty but is not visible

• Advertisement

Sure, the shear capacity of a single M8 bolt is at least 8kN (800kg).

Holding stuff up is easy, it's the other forces (leverage, bending, pull out) that break stuff.

Thanks. Update in this is I went to fabricators up in Greenhills and the guy was very helpful and patient. He suggested a frame to the dimensions of the counter top (or just less to make invisible) with one leg welded (lopposite the corner). Based on the above, and to help with install, I might get him to put a second leg on it.

Do you mind sharing how much he quoted?

Always curious with this stuff as I haven't found time to get into welding.

150 euro, seems v reasonable to me.

Advertisement