Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block reveals in nee houses and cold bridging

Options
  • 15-05-2024 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Driving around seeing new housing I have spotted the method where reveals are formed by having a half block crossing the cavity. I had thought this method had lost favour due to cold bridging concerns?

Btw in renovations, is it every removing these perpendicular blocks or is too much trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Biker1

Not common or best practice. Blocks returned to within 75mm of the outer leaf and PIR insulation used to fill the gap would be a good detail. Reduces thermal bridging to a minimum, leaves a solid block to fix window straps and makes it easier for the airtightness tape to get a good bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I seem to remember Roadstone have some insulated blocks for this purpose, pretty sure they're supposed to prevent cold bridging

Maybe that's what was seen here?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Biker1

The Roadstone blocks you are referring to would only reduce the thermal bridging slightly. You would still need a thermal break between the inner and outer leaf to make a real difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Here is an example taken today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That block is most likely not fully crossing the cavity. There should be a section of full fill insulation across the reduced cavity. I would also want it to be an AAC block to reduce the thermal bridge. It's certainly not the optimal detail, but I'd still expect to find it used in spec housing. It's still included in acceptable construction details 2021 (below)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,291 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

a resistance of 2.4 m2K/W equates to about 53mm of PIR insulation

it doesn't look like they have left enough gap in that photo.

there only looks to be about a 100mm cavity as well, so i wouldn't be surprised if the spec here is to internally insulate with insulated plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's fair, was more so getting at the idea that that older style of closer is still about. Rather than endorsing the build in the photo (which is questionable around the lintel also), or anywhere really.

If we were being totally fair. The block park of the closer should contribute too. But even with a quinlite, 75mm AAC + 25mm PIR gets you to 1.6m2K/W at best. That approach it really only viable for cavitys in excess of 100mm. Regardless of widths it will never match a full insulated closer.

Advertisement