Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humming from shaver light in bathroom

Options
  • 15-05-2024 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a shaver light above the sink. 115/230 v

It's humming all the time even though nothing is plugged in. Is that normal? I thought they only hummed when something was plugged into it.

It's also mildly warm to the touch on the right side

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,805 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No thats not normal. It should not hum at all. Sounds like a faulty transformer.

I would get that looked at as soon as possible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 becckii22

Perfect thanks. I rang it into building management and I wanted to know more before they came back and said it was normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Humming in my book wouldn't be a major concern. Transformers can do this as the coils loosen up over time, but as they are double-isolation transformer types so the risk should be minimal and the issue would be more of an annoyance rather than a safety issue. But opinions will differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 becckii22

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it's quite the annoyance and it's a brand new build with a brand new shaver.

I will never need the shaver so is it t possible to cut power to the shaver part but keep power going to the light and will that stop the hum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If it's brand new and the hum is audible then it's not acceptable, no debate there.

I will never need the shaver so is it t possible to cut power to the shaver part but keep power going to the light and will that stop the
    hum?

It might be possible but in a bathroom environment this wouldn't be advised as it would be a modification to what should be a sealed and protected unit. I'd record it and start pushing the management company, if that's who's in charge of the bathroom electrics, harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

"Humming in my book wouldn't be a major concern."

It depends on the tune imo. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

it’s possible that the fitting isn’t screwed tight to the wall,exacerbating the noise especially if it’s a studded wall

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know this sounds like Ctrl-Alt-Delete but….

OP, can you get an appliance with a bathroom (two-pin) plug like a mains shaver or a toothbrush charger, plug it in and out and see if the humming stops. Worth a try.

Advertisement