Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this funghi (?) in my potato bed?

Options
  • 15-05-2024 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Suddenly, my potato bed is absolutely covered with this (I am guessing) funghi. What is this and is it harmless?

It's only in the potato bed although I used the same soil and compost in many other places, so no idea why and how it came about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Julia_G

another pic

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I'm no expert but it looks like slime mold. I think it's harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mikros

I had the exact same fungus grow in some raised beds that I had covered in bark mulch. From what I Googled It's a type of cup fungus / Peziza fungus - the exact type is very hard to identify. They are harmless and just feeding off the decaying organic matter in the soil.

Well thank you both, that made for interesting research. I've never seen this before!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Definitely not Slime Mould. It's the fruiting parts of a fungus usually found on trees. Is there woodchip in the bed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭grinder23

Had that grow in a shaded area exactly where the kids buried their hamster and they put a handful of bark mulch over the area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

could it be growing off the planks you seem to have lined the bed with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭macraignil

I agree with the identification of the picture being a type of cup fungus. I had these growing previously on a vegetable crop area that had recently been converted from rough pasture by ploughing. Read they are generally just saprophytes feeding on dead material in the soil.

Happy gardening!

Thanks everyone, they're disappearing now! I found a few more around and indeed seems to have originated from the planks

Advertisement