Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love Lies Bleeding

Options
  • 15-05-2024 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭

Was on the fence about catching this but really glad I did! Written and directed by Rose Glass, who also wrote and directed Saint Maud in her very excellent debut.

Not going to say too much about the plot of the movie - save that it's a grimy, dysfunctional romance thriller set in the 80s - but the cast are just incredible, and it's a wild, violent ride from start to finish.

Katy O' Brien really got into tremendous shape for the movie as well. We're well used to seeing male action stars bulk up but the dedication here is admirable.

Overall it's a 4/5 for me, favorite movie this year alongside Civil War.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭purifol0

Ughhhhhh. First half of the film was pulpy and engrossing. Latter half felt undercooked, but then the director throws everything out the window and pissed off everyone in the cinema with the ending.

In fact that one scene is the reason I can't recommend it at all. Damn shame the director cares about "feminism and empowerment" more than making something entertaining for the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

One of my films of the year. Loved it. 70's exploitation throwback.

Rose Glass has cemented herself as one to watch. Saint Maud was superb too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I really enjoyed it, real B-movie vibes with a touch of Cronenberg body horror. The ending was a bit out there but I think it was a nod and a wink to attack of the 50ft woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought the ending was fine, a bit jarring alright visually but purely symbolic to show a more confident Jackie not leaning on any crutch and genuinely believing in something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I really enjoyed it. Kristen Stewart is a phenomenal actress, she had countless memorable line deliveries in this. Katy O'Brien and Ed Harris (and his skullet) were great too, enjoyed every performance bar Dave Franco really.

I thought the ending worked too. It's not like it comes out of nowhere, that sort of imagery and allegory is used throughout the film.

It reminded me of the Safdie Bros film Good Time in how the characters seem to just dig themselves deeper and deeper into this mess with every action they take, and you can feel that pressure weighing on them. I wouldn't say it's as adrenaline-inducing as Good Time or Uncut Gems but it definitely elicits the same kind of reaction.

If not for the great selection of films in theatres at the moment I'd be going to see it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

If you want something similar to Uncut Gems, check out The Teachers Lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I enjoyed it up until the end. It went from a solid 6/10 to an annoying and I would recommend you avoid 3/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,246 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

the end choices didn’t bother me at all, felt quite in keeping with some of the earlier moments, with visuals giving an insight into how a moment feels, rather than just showing it literally. i quite liked the visual and emotional artistry of those touches myself. Excellent film for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭winstonia

Wained a bit at the end alright however I loved it. Went in totally blind. None of the performances blew me away but the sound and visuals did. 3.5/5

• Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

• Advertisement
Advertisement