Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee bean storage

Options
  • 15-05-2024 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

For those who order coffee beans fresh, e.g 1kg monthly with recent roast date. Do you freeze your beans? Do you freeze immediately or let the beans go through the degassing phase first and then freeze. What's best practice? Is there a best practice?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Opinion varies. I generally purchase 2kg / month. I keep them in the bag they were delivered in resealed after use. Beans are best used 6-10 days post-roast after degassing is mostly complete.

I wouldn't freeze personally as get through them so quickly and fear ingress of moisture - taking them in and out of the freezer. Have tried this but never saw any benefit. If you are freezing, I'd allow degassing first.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

I only get to make coffee from the beans at weekends so 1kg does the month and is frozen in 250g bags, each taken out for that weekend. I have been degassing pre freezing but was unsure if there is a 'correct' sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I order a few different types from the same roaster at the start of each month, ususally 4x250g bags, and I freeze the 3 I'm not opening straight away then make my way through them over the month. I usually make about 2x 23g clever dripper each day, with some days one cup of that and one cup of a different bean in the Aeropress

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

So you dont bother degassing before freezing? Do you degas for a few days after you thaw the beans or is the freezing period sufficient?

Advertisement