Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blown in Attic Insulation Asbestos v Cellulose

Options
  • 14-05-2024 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some opinions on this insulation (photos below). From doin g a bit of research I believe it to be Cellulose. I am still concerned it could be Asbestos. The house is 1950's but we don't know when the insulation was put in. Does anyone know if blown in asbestos insulation was commonly used in Ireland? I know we cant be 100% with out testing but curious on peoples opinions if they would be concerned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

From the second picture it looks like recycled newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have cellulose insulation in my attic, self-installed in 2007 and it looks like that. It usually has borax added as a fire retardant.

You would be best off using a test kit if you have concerns around the fire retardant:

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=asbestos+test+kit

• Subscribers Posts: 41,286 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's not asbestos.

Asbestos as ceiling insulation looks a lot more like a candy floss type material. That being said, the only way to know for sure is to do a test like suggested above. But I'd be 99.9% sure that product in the photo is cellulose

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It doesn't look like it. But asbestos come it a lot of forms.

I've heard of people testing asbestos by trying to burn it. If burns, it's cellulose not asbestos. As your own risk, etc. Wear a mask, gloves etc. A test is a lower risk option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, except for the addition of borax in there, it won't burn readily or smoulder like natural cellulose would. That's why a chemical test kit is probably the better solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Asbestos does not burn. If the insulation does burn it cannot be asbestos. But nothing about implies the reverse. Modern celluose insulation has borax and won't burn, older stuff will.

A test kit is definitely a better solution. If it doesn't burn, it could be either. In which case you'd still need to test.

Advertisement