Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on bikes bought in Europe

Options
  • 14-05-2024 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

This was news to me so thought I'd share...

I rang Carole Nash to switch my insurance to a bike I'm buying in Europe. They told me that they don't do that anymore. Their insurance company "changed their policy a few months ago".

I'm thinking of switching, do you know of a company that would insure me for this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Well your options are limited.

Try Principal and and Liberty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Hmmm, I wonder if that's legal in the context of the EU open market. Sounds bizarre. Did they say why? Is this even after VRT and registration done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭goblin59

I had this the other day too, but I thought it was purely a brexit thing as the bike was in the UK.
    It came across as lazy though when I was on the phone as the woman just seemed completely uninterested in dealing with me on the phone when I had asked her she had said oh we never did this.
    So I pointed out my four previous bikes that it had been done on.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bertaluchi

Liberty just told me they can't do it also. All of a sudden we can't get temp insurance on bikes and ride them in. We need to get a trailer!

Does anyone know more about this? The person on the phone was just relaying the message and didn't have a clue other than that.

This seems like a big change all of a sudden

Hold the phone, Principal do it.

They didn't understand why the others wouldn't. All policies cover EU for 90 days by default.

Bananas.

• Advertisement

Thanks Blade!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,943 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All EU policies provide the minimum level of cover required in other EU countries for the term of the policy. The 90 days is for any extras like fully comp or recovery. That's different to insuring vehicles which aren't registered in the country you are looking to take out insurance on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

30 days is/was the norm for vehicles not registered in the country yet.

Advertisement