Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Nitrates Regs

Options
  • 14-05-2024 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

In relation to the new nitrates regs, when it says that farmers with a 'grassland stocking rate over 130kg organic nitrogen per hectare are obliged to apply all slurry with low - emission slurry - spreading equipment', does this include any slurry imported. In my case, my stocking rate is 56 kg N/ha. Last year I imported 2500 kg of slurry. My final NPH is now over 158. So, it looks like I am now obliged to use LESS and need to have soil samples if I want to but fertiliser with Phosphorous. Any advice would be most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

All and imported slurry should be using LESS is my interpretation.

All imports also need soil samples is my reading as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

I think he's asking are his 2023 npk calculations incl imported slurry applicable to him in 2024 ...it probably does..you should revert back to your own npk calculations in 2025 if no imported slurry or extra cattle this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭alps

I doubt his 2023 slurry imports effect 2024 decisions, however all imported slurry must be spread with LESS regardless. You need to soil samples to import slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭KAMG

I suppose the question boils down to, is it 56 or 158 that is used to determine whether I'm over the 130 or not. It says 'stocking rate' in any articles I have read. To me, that means the N produced from your own cattle. Or am I clutching at straws? I hate having made this mistake, if its the 158 figure, as it was avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Jack C

I always thought slurry imports was treated like chemical fertilizer in that your nitrates and phosphorus statement for 23 would determine both what chemical and organic fertilizer you can import for 24. I'd say if 56kg n/ha is your figure for 23 you wouldn't have to use less in 24 to spread your own slurry but would if spreading imported slurry plus also need soil tests. Then for 25 you use the 24 kg/ha figure from your own stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It goes to show that DAFM needs to start to provide some sort of a nutrient calculator for farmers to use. This would help farmers plan and help to provide clarity around sampling less. The more to these that us farmers can interact with easily on agfood the better and stop funds heading towards advisors.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭KAMG

That is my reading of it too. But its very complicated in my opinion. I have some soil samples taken last year in relation to the lime scheme. Are these any use to me in relation to this issue?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Does anyone know how often the Dept calculate figures for the N and P statements on agfood?

I've just checked and for 2021 there was a statement for every month. In 2022, there was a monthly statement from July onwards. And for 2023, there was a monthly statement from August onwards.

What I'm wondering is if I have say 50 cows on the farm on 1-January, and I buy 20 cows on 1-April, will my annual N and P be based on 70 cows x 12 months? Or will it be 50 cows x 12 months + 20 cows x 8 months?

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 49 V6400

if that’s for your heifers @Siamsa Sessions and say they all calve on 1st of feb you’ll have 50 heifers x 1 + 50 cows x 11 + 20 cows x 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

You can check a monthly Oraganic N running total on icbf.

View profiles, stock numbers, select type of report on the drop down = nitrates, select year eg 2024. Select pdf(right hand heading). Gives running total up to end April.

Divide total N figure by total hectares used on BISS

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks folks - I understand what way the figures are calculated now and where to check.

Edit to say I found the info on ICBF - very detailed and straightforward to understand (once you see where the figures are coming from).

Thanks again.

Post edited by Siamsa Sessions on

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

I'm not with Teagasc, do most of my Dept stuff online myself, any TAMS work I've done I've used an independent planner but it appears that I've no independent option here. Any planner I've asked have said they all use the Teagasc system so they're effectively forcing people into signing up to one of the services, another cost we could do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Did all the tams 2 stuff here myself. Had to engage an advisor myself for acres.

We need to make more noise about making schemes more accessible for farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mushy06

From 2023 back it used to be 0.06575 multiplied per animal per day for any animal under 12 months of age for every day they on your farm.

Any animal from 12 months to 24 months was 0.15616 multiplied per animal per day for every day they on your farm.

Add both and divide by your total hectares. i finished at 169,167 and 166 last 3 years so it worked a dream.

i got that info as a result of the Beam scheme which was very useful. BUT for 2024 i don't have an equation like previous years and was wondering does anybody know a simple new equation for new setup?

Advertisement