Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber and? Electrician required to replace boiler and install heating controls?

Options
  • 14-05-2024 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

My son is trying to get quotes to replace an old oil boiler and install heating controls. The two plumbers he has contacted so far have said he will have to organise an electrician to wire in the boiler (and I assume the heating controls). Is this normal practice these days? I would have thought that one person would do the whole lot. Seems very messy having to organise two people for the job.

Is there anyone who would do the complete job in Galway City?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

It's unusual that he doesn't have an electrician that he calls on for such jobs.

Some installers do the lot themselves.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Heating controls aren't a simple thing like wiring a plug. Some are very complicated. Too complicated for a lot of plumbers.

As pointed out above it's unusual that they don't even have a number of an electrician they would recommend. It would suggest to me that they don't do many boilers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I've had this before where the boiler was moving to a new location, so they wanted a supply in place to allow the plumber fit the boiler and test when he was there.

Where is the boiler location? does it need a new supply cable ran under the garden? many old boilers never had a permanent live supply, but most new ones would require that.

What sort of heating controls? multi zone, smart thermostats etc?

There are a lot of variables here, it might not be a simple as just swapping out a boiler and wiring it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

unless its a very simple swap out i would always have an electrician priced into the job

too many variables of problems can come back to bite you in the arse years later

as in who was the last person to work on or do any electrical work on the property

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Binky9660

Hi, I am in the process of getting quotes for a new combi boiler and heating controls-do you know what your son is paying for the works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The electrician will usually wire as far as the fused spur for the boiler and the plumber can do everything downstream of that (inc. heating controls) unless additional wiring is needed for other parts of the system. The heating controls are generally low voltage systems (I could see an electrician being used to do some of the cable running if it's not following the pipe route, they'd generally be more experienced at fishing cables than a plumber would).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Make sure you are comparing like with like.

The correct way to install a combi boiler is to take hot & cold feed from the attic tank and run both through a pump

The wrong (but cheaper option) way is to tap into the mains water supply.

Thermostatic showers and taps require equal pressure to function correctly. Mains fed combi boiler won't provide equal pressure.

If you have a power shower then this will need pipe alterations or prvs installed. Usually the guy willing to tap into the mains water supply is trying to sell you a substandard system and most likely won't be looking at making sure power showers are made safe

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Binky9660

Thanks Sleeper12 for the heads up. I have a local guy coming to quote tomorrow and Bord Gais next week and will let you know the quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I got a quote of 5500 for a 24kw boiler replacement/Hive heating control/motorised valve for water zoning/Smart TRV for 7 rads(tado)

Advertisement