Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to buy

Options
  • 14-05-2024 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a house in 2023. I got 30k from the help to buy..

My circumstances have now change and I will be relocating away. If I sell before 5 years I will have to return 30k to revenue. Thinking about renting it out because of this even though I would prefer to sell.

I'm assuming there's no way around this

Anyone have experience of this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,690 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can't sell it or rent it out (other than the rent a room scheme or other schemes) within the 5 years without the help being returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Gary_dunne

You won't have to return the full 30k as far as I'm aware, it reduces over the period so it should be 24k that you will need to return if you have been there for a full year. If not, then ye full 30k would need to be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Think its in your contract with the HTB that if you leave within 5 years you need to repay a certain amount back to revenue.

Advertisement