Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid-terrace house: no straight run through from the front door to the back garden

Options
  • 13-05-2024 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hello folks,

Would you be put off by a mid-terrace house which does not have a straight run through from the front door to the back garden?

ie. with a 90 degree turn from the hallway into the living space at the rear of the house.

Found a lovely house.

Back garden hemmed in on all sides.

Driveway is paved, so no need to bring gardening tools thru the house.

Driveway is large and has plenty of room to store the bins.

The house had a recent rear extension so no need for major building works anytime soon.

Just wondering if I’ll be able to move some of my furniture (large couch) from the hall into the rear of the house. Looks like too tight a squeeze.

Or if I’ll be able to get tradespeople and their tools/ladders into the back of the house if ever required, eg. maybe I might get the back of the house insulated someday.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

Is there an oil or gas tank at the rear? It will be more difficult to get a hose through without a straight run.
    If you could take some actual measurements it should be possible to work out what can fit through.
    Might have to go with flat pack furniture and there are fold-up ladders, so probably nothing insurmountable if you really like the house otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭FledNanders

Personally it might put me off as we all cycle bikes regularly. But I suppose than can be gotten around by adding a storage unit in the front garden.

Regarding the couch, you can usually screw the arms off yourself from underneath if needed to get it around tight corners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

Recently bought a similar house to the one you’re looking at OP.
    On the plus side - the rear garden is really secure so my bikes are relatively safe; the house is incredibly easy and quick to heat; the interior layout works really well for me.
    Negatively - getting furniture in was difficult and required careful measurement; when the oil is being filled I have to ensure that the hose is clean and angles padded; lifting the mower, bicycles etc through needs care; I have hedges around the tiny back yard and getting the cuttings through the house is a pain.
    Consequently, I am inclined to do jobs myself rather than get someone else because I know I’ll be more careful.
    So yes, it is a compromise, but one well worth making in my opinion if you like the house and location which I do!

Advertisement