Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Resolved] Appealing a warning received

Options
  • 13-05-2024 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭

Hello. I'd like to appeal a warning I received in a thread about bullying. I think there has been a misunderstanding. I made the post lamenting online bullying and stated that even boards.ie has bullies amongst its posters and even moderators. I had made a report about bullying from a mod previously which was adjudged in my favour so I wasn't just picking that out of thin air. My overall point was about online bullying everywhere on the internet though and not just boards.ie. I have spoken to the mod who directed me here. This is the post in question:

It's probably worse online than in real life as some are brave behind their computers. Bullying, trying to drag others down, enjoying the misery of others are all things you see. Just look at this forum for a clear example. Attempts at bullying is common place. A few moderators are clear bullies even. I think for online bullying, the narrative about bullies having something lacking in their lives is true. Sad individuals.

Thanks for reviewing.

Post edited by Mickeroo on

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,853 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

As I applied the warning I'll ask another admin to review

@Mickeroo @awec @Beasty

• Administrators Posts: 53,538 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This should be reviewed by the Cmods first. @Ten of Swords @ancapailldorcha can one of you take a look?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Sure.

OP, have you attempted to resolve this with the moderator in question?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Yes, I have. Here is the conversation I had with them:

• If you have a problem with any post or poster report it.You've been given plenty of advice on your posting style. You've been given warnings. You've had multiple chances.
    • Musicrules May 13

Hello. I'm not sure what this warning is for? I have changed my posting style, I don't think I've received a ban or any cards in months. And I was having a go at online bullies, not anyone specifically so I'm not sure why you've warned me. Thanks.

• Big Bag of Chips May 13

"Just look at this forum for a clear example"

"A few moderators are clear bullies"

If you have a problem with any post or posters, please report it.

• Musicrules May 13

Hello. I'm sorry, there seems to be a misunderstanding. By forum I meant boards.ie and I have reported a moderator for bullying already. I'm not sure what is wrong with my post. Thanks.

I said twice, if you have a problem with a post or poster report it.

Your post was flaming and taking a dig at volunteer moderators. It's not acceptable.

• Musicrules May 13

Hello. I know, if I spot bullying, I will report it but that's not what my post was about and I wasn't taking a dig at moderators in my post. I was having a pop at online bullies. It wasn't flaming at all! I did report bullying by a moderator in the past. If I see it again I will report it then also. I think you're picking up the meaning of my post wrong. There was zero malice or anything meant. I was just lamenting the fact that bullying exists in a big way online. Can you reconsider the warning? Thanks.

No, I will not reconsider the warning. You posted on Boards.ie saying there was clear examples of bullying. You also mentioned a few moderators are clear bullies.

I don't know how you can claim posting those statements isn't flaming.

I have a 3 reply rule when it comes to disputes. I have said what I need to say. If you want to dispute the warning you are entitled to do so in The Dispute Resolution Forum where an Admin other than me will review it.

• Musicrules May 13

Hello. Ok, that's no problem. I will appeal there. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the PMs.

I'm in full agreement with the mod here. Your post was a snide dig at moderators and represents a breach of the site's rules. If you do not change your posting style as recommended, you may find yourself banned.

Please let me know if you would like an admin to review this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Hello,

Thanks for reviewing.

My post only mentioned moderators in one line. The rest of the post was a dig against online bullies. And the line about moderators was in relation to a mod who was adjudged to have been acting inappropriately. So I'm being punished for making a post against online bullying. It seems very unfair to me.

I think I'll have to appeal to an admin as these warnings get used as a reason to justify future warnings and bans. I have completely changed my posting style since being warned a few months ago as well by the way. Maybe that should be taken into account?

Thanks.

No problem. I will flag it now.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hi Musicrules

I don't accept your explanation as you used Moderators plural, so trying to make out you were talking about that one moderator (who isn't even a moderator anymore, if it's who I think it is) won't fly. It looks like you were just having a dig at the mods and are now trying to back track to make it look like you meant something else. If you wanted to say something in general about online bullies you didn't need to have a go at the mods at all.

Infraction upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement