Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your €2k+ Timepiece

Options
  • 13-05-2024 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

If you have bought a watch that retails for over €2,000 what watch was it and what was it about this watch that made you want to purchase it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Came on here for a recommendation with a max budget of 1000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’ve bought two new Tags, Night Diver and Aquacer for combined 7k in the last year. I like Tags rather than Rolex, they are more understated, and not nearly as expensive/difficult to get. Though the Night Diver was a challenge because there was a limited number made, I had to go to the Channel Islands, they may be easier to source now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

Plenty from A Lange and Sohne, Rolex, Tudor, Omega, Patek, Vacheron, Dornblüth and Sohn, Nomos, Tag heuer, Blaincpain etc.

Why

1. Higher prices means higher quality (for the most part).
    2. When buying second hand and at the right price they offer a relatively secure store of the money while you enjoy the asset. Now you win on some and lose on some but as a collection they should level out.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

How many of this quality of watch is in your current collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭scwazrh

he’s basically listed his current collection and some of his past there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have a few 4 figure watches at this stage. As @fat bloke said, it all started with coming on here with a budget, that quickly doubled🤣

You are asking quite a broad question and asking it if a group of folk who have even broader ranges in terms of taste and motivation for buying.

There's a SOTC (state of the collection) thread here where shots of people's collections are shared, also a little chat about what motivation for purchase was too. Have a read of that and you might get some insights. Is it a case that you are looking to buy something? Or are wondering about what drives such an anachronistic form of conspicuous consumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

I find myself drawn towards the HydroConquest GMT but am also thinking it is a mad amount of money to spend on a watch.

Thank you for expanding my vocabulary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Its a very decent watch IMHO. I had considered their VHP GMT for a while but I decided to go with something else. There should be room to negotiate a small discount buying new, if you want the comfort of a shop and the AD experience.

That said, if I was buying one? I'd take a look at the pre-owned prices too. Chrono24, watchrecon.com, watchcharts.com and watchcollecting.com are all good places to discover current pricing and 2nd hand availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

it’s not. Treat yourself if you can afford it. Life is short and there was never a tow hitch seen on a hearse.

If you can buy it second hand as let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Advertisement