Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door Bell Camera

Options
  • 13-05-2024 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

I have an elderly relative who lives in a terraced house, in a busy street. The front door opens straight onto the public footpath - no front lawn.

She wants me to get her a door bell camera (ideally wired, rather than have to replace batteries periodically). She has fast WiFi.

Because of street/footpath traffic, it should not have motion detection - or if it has, it must have the option to disable it.

Basically, it should send a notification to her Android phone, only if the door ball is pressed.

She should then be able to see (on her phone) the person who rang the bell and (ideally) communicate with them.

No need for cloud storage & definitely no subscription charges.

To deter theft, the door bell should be screwed into place (rather than just stuck on).

I would really appreciate any names of products which meet the above criteria - I have been checking, but I am just confused.

Thank you, in adavnce.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Just an addendum: if storage is required, perhaps the XD card on her phone could be used (and over written, when full).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

most doorbells have a backplate, this is secured to the door/frame and then the bell is secured to that. I use doorbird but it’s cabled, so you’ll need to charge it.

something like this is cheap and effective and has a chime aswell
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/EZVIZ-Battery-Powered-Resolution-Detection-Weatherproof/dp/B09FJMLJW4

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Thanks helimachoptor for your suggestion, but the item is too elaborate for what my elderly relative wants.

If she gets alerts every time someone passes on the public footpath immediately outside her door, it will drive her daft.

She wants the bell to to chime (audible within the house) and send an alert on her android phone, only if someone presses the bell. She should then be able to see on her Android app who is at the door & be able to communicate with them.

Very basic requirements. If all these door bells come with motion detection, do any of them allow you to disable the motion detection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

A Ring doorbell with a Chime will do everything she wants. Motion Detection alerts can be switched off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

A blink door bell will do this no problem. My own one is on a street motion detection is switched off.

My set up has a separate module for storing the video clips I have it hooked up to the USB port on my modem for power. SD card in that for storage.

Single set of AA batteries have lasted me over 2 years. Phone notification every time it's pressed and instead of a chime I have a old Alexa dot with the microphone off which announces "Some one is at the front door" quite loudly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement