Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.0 before I'm 50

Options
  • 13-05-2024 5:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Hey, so used to log here years ago. It's always been a dream for me to run a sub 20 min 5k. But I haven't run for years and I'm carrying some extra weight post covid.

However, now I feel is the time to tackle this challenge again. I am 44, 6, 1 and weigh 15st 5lbs.

It's not a great starting point and might take years. But I'm interested to know if it can be done and how quickly. Years??

So I realise that change is required. Mostly to diet. Also, I don't really want to start jogging until I get the weight down. So for the moment, I am going to walk. I recently discovered trail walking so I have been enjoying that.

Anyway, a big challenge but a good / interesting one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Ok so walked for approximately 1:35, started at 1798 Battlefield (3 rocks trail) and walk to Pennylands and back.

Pretty miserable weather. Had an umbrella that just about held up to the task. Stupidly wore poorly fitting ankle socks so cut the back of my ankles up a bit.

Having some coffee now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Mmmmmm liquid life 🤤

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

I am 50 in a few months, started running on my own about 3 years ago, could not break 21 minutes and had no clue on how to run or what type of running to do, everything was full out and most runs were 5km trying to beat whatever my PB was.

I joined a running club & it changed everything; daunting at first but no need to have been, all types of people.

As a result, I have learned the value of a slow long run, interval training and other types of runs. Being in a group makes it easier to complete the sessions also. I am hoping to break 19 mins this year and have gone sub 20 lots of times. Also it forms a good base for what you can achieve at longer distances which is more suited to my age:)

All the best with it.

Advertisement