Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back wheel puncture...repair or replace the tyre...

Options
  • 12-05-2024 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi…Picked up a nail in my back wheel, Honda CBR500.

Holts Tyreweld got me home, after I removed the nail.

Do people repair or replace the tyres nowadays?

Anyone know where might I get it repaired or replaced, around Naas? Can car places do motorcycle tyres?

Also a shout out to the bikers who stopped to help and give advice, still so many nice people around.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I've always had punctures in my rear tyre plugged and despite others saying it'll be dangerous I've never had a subsequent problem. How old is the tyre and how much rubber is left on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Alkers

Agreed, if it's in the centre no problem plugging it and carrying on

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Philips2233

Tyre is about 18 months old. Might order some of those sticky plugs, or the ones that are used with glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭goblin59

you're probally getting close to replacing it anyway, what's the mileage on it

Mileage is low. Checked the TWI and plenty left. Checked Tyreweld can and website, both say it does not damage tyres. Be interesting to see how I get on tomorrow when the bike shops are open.

• Advertisement

To give an update - it said on the can and on Holts website that Tyreweld doe not harm tyres. This is true. Took the wheel to the repairer. A really nice guy removed it and powerwashed the inside, just with water. This seemed to remove all the white Tyreweld and tyre looked very clean. He appeared to have no problem putting a mushroom patch on it. Thanks again for all the help.

Have plugs for next time….as well as well as Tyreweld…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

He appeared to have no problem putting a mushroom patch on it

I thought mushrooms were no longer advised and internal patches only to be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Mushroom plug patches are the only repair that meets standard. They combine an internal patch with a plug.

Tyreweld will not damage a tyre. The difficulty is it hiding secondary damage. Not many places are going to go to the trouble of the place the OP went and wash it out.

Advertisement