Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for a small vacuum

Options
  • 12-05-2024 5:17pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a recommendation for a small vacuum for the garage. Mostly for connecting to a hobby CNC/powertools. Compact would be great, as we're increasingly short on space.

If folks have opinions on bagged/bagless, those would be welcome too.

I have a bunch of Bosch pro/home batteries but no other brands, that said I also possess extension leads and usually have a socket near where I work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Br5d

Any of the small wet/dry vacuums should do the job, depends on your budget. Lidl/Aldi have them on special occasionally. Check out screwfix.ie to get an idea. I have a couple of titans in my shop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got an ash vac in lidl a few months back for €28. sucks and blows. the filter does get clogged quickly with fine dust if you're creating that (i do while sanding on the lathe), but it's easy to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

You should build a cyclone filter and put a Thein baffle on/in it. Will reduce the amount of dust going into the vac to almost zero.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers - that sounds like it would be elegant, but it's one of those 'it'd take me an hour or two to make something to save me two minutes a week' sort of jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Here is my set up. Vacuum and cyclone in a little cart on wheels. I was a bit like you with the "is it really worth it" feeling until I started to look into the "invisible dust" i.e. the dangerous stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement