Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathgar vs Portobello

Options
  • 12-05-2024 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone,
    Have been looking to purchase in Portobello for a while now as I have been renting in the area for the past 7 years and absolutely love it. Currently sale agreed on a property on Pleasants Street, just off of Camden but worried about an application for planning permission for a 6-storey hostel that might ruin the character of the area and potentially my sleep, as well as drag down the value of the property.
    I have decided to look at the market again and found a property I would like in Rathgar.
    I am an expat, not from Dublin or Ireland for that matter, so the property would be for personal use but with the idea in mind that potentially it could turn into an investment opportunity down the line (perhaps renting if moving out or simply ensuring it would keep its value over the years if I decide to sell).
    I could use your insights on which area would be best from this perspective, perhaps some local knowledge I might not be familiar with.
    Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I can't imagine it would impact your property price at all. Not sure about your sleep as you will be living just off Camden St, which is plenty noisy!

Rathgar is a lovely quiet area, albeit more residential area then Portobello obviously. It has plenty of buses to town and isn't actually too far by foot, no time on a bike. I don't know much about investments around either area, but I would imagine long term, both are good, guaranteed for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Rathgar is a nicer, more settled area, more residential as suvigirl has said, but both areas should hold long term value in my opinion anyway, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ted222

They’re quite different places and wouldn’t necessarily appeal to the same market in terms of rental. That said, they would always be in demand.

Personally, I don’t get the appeal that Rathgar seems to enjoy. The village has limited facilities and it’s very difficult to park. Portobello has a more eclectic mix of residents and is within a walk of everything that the south city centre has to offer.

I know where I’d prefer to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"The village has limited facilities and it’s very difficult to park." - if @lelola lived in Rathgar, they wouldn't need to find somewhere to park.

Sure, Rathgar has fewer amenities than Rathmines, but generally more than Portobello.

Advertisement