Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery Strimmer recommendations

Options
  • 12-05-2024 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Hi all, petrol strimmer has given up the ghost,.so looking at maybe battery operated for replacement.

Any recommendations, what to look out for etc? just looking at screwfix there are some models from under €100 to the dewalts at over €600.

Dont have a huge area to do, mainly around the lawn edges and difficult spots that the ride on can get into. Budget would be around €250 to €300 mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,204 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We just got a Stihl and its excellent - objective was to get one light enough to use easily, it still deals with everything its put up against. The battery lasts about 20 minutes used on major grass and weeds, probably get longer if you were just trimming lawn edges etc. It was between 3 and 4 hundred, can't remember exactly. Doesn't have bullhorns but the small handle works fine. The cutting line extender system is a bit - um - creative, whack it off a stone or other hard surface. Works though.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

I got this from Amazon last year. comes with two batteries, about 8 plastic strimmer blades, which are very easy to break. also metal strimmer blades, and metal circular saw thingies, which I havent used yet. If you removed the guard. you could use your own tie-wraps as strimmer cutters. ( But mind your ankles etc !!)

It seems to be a very handy piece of kit so far, at a VERY good price.

cheers.

Mr. T.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The DeWalt on screwfix is €300 (ish) and currently you get a free drill if you bother to register the offer.

I bought it (or rather my wife did) as I already have a lot of DeWalt batteries. Its not a lot of use in out large rural garden but still very handy for strimming around trees and edges. On a smaller garden I think it could be idea. Very light and easy to handle.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭mulbot

The Black and Decker battery trimmer is a great value tool, I've had mine 4 years, never an issue, the lower half can twist 180 degrees to allow you to run the wheel along the ground for trimming borders etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We've a worx battery strimmers and I love it. We have a lot of worx tools so fits our battery system but it's short and light - the two issues I have with our petrol one. Primarily used for lawn edges/tidying up a few small bits the robot mower can't get to. But it'll give heavier stuff a decent go to the point that the petrol is very rarely used. I've never timed it's usage but two small batteries does the lawn edges and more (we have a lot of edges from trees, kids garden toys, veg garden etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShadowSA

EGO strimmer is doing me great, large capacity battery so I can do half and acre and still have battery left. Went into local Stihl dealership wanting a petrol strimmer and walked out with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I got the Lidl one a while back and love it, great performance for €25 (already had the battery).

Only thing that would improve it is if the string was a bit stronger, hitting something hard will rip off one or both strings then you have to open it and reset it, anyone ever seen any tougher string for them?

Tougher string is a bit tricky. You can get really tough string but it won't fit in that strimmer and if you could get it in the strimmer wouldn't have the power to spin it as the extra thickness has more air resistance.

You might be able to go up a size so if you have 1.5mm you MIGHT be able to use 2mm. However there can be a simple and totally unintuitive fix for line that breaks to easily and that is soak it in water.

Then you can always get better quality line I use Oregon Techni 280 which has better heat resistant qualities (doesn't melt at the eyelets) but I don't think they do that in sizes under 2.4mm?

Also so good info from Project Farm

is there anything this guy hasn't tested?

Oh look battery strimmers - but probably not many available here

Huh interesting, so I can buy a big long roll of string and wind it myself onto the "cartridge" or whatever you'd call it that holds the Lidl string? Ill take a pic later, Ill also try the water soak aswell thanks.

• Advertisement

Ah you legend, that will get me from the 1.4mm currently to 1.65mm and no more worrying about replacements, thanks a million, sounds like exactly what I was looking for:

The raised ribs are identical to the original spool, these 3 spools work perfectly well on my cordless edge trimmer from the "PARKSIDE" brand.
    After a grass cutting test this morning, I can say that the line in these spools is much less brittle than the original one, which is still rather impressive because at the same time, the quality cutting performance is clearly improved.
    Offered on the site at a low price for the 3 reels, I find it to be good value for money.

Just be aware that its a bigger jump for your strimmer going from 1.4mm to 1.65mm than you might think nearly and extra 20% more diameter to move though the air. Should be OK if your strimmer still has a bit of power to spare but if its maxed out already you'll soon find out. But hardly a high stakes gamble :-)

Advertisement