Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Minor crash repair - Advice

Options
  • 12-05-2024 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

So my partner managed to hit a bush/small tree at low speed. Headlight is cracked but working, small enough dent, bent panel and lots of scratches.

It's a 4 year old VW t-cross and not sure if worth going through main dealer or independent crash repair.

Also would you involve insurance for this size of damage? Guessing about 1000 but no real idea.

Never been in situation where damage was not caused by someone else so not sure on approach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭User1998

Would need to see the damage to give advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Stick up a photo and you might get better advice. As you’re paying from your own pocket, find an independent crash repair shop. It’ll be cheaper. I’d be surprised if you can sort it for a grand btw! But maybe you’ll be fortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

More than likely the main dealer will out source it to an independent body shop. Take it to a few bodyshops and get some quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Grand may be optimistic alright. Pic attached

For a decent job I would say €600 or so to respray the two panels and pop them back into place. Bonnet looks fine. You might not even have to respray the whole front bumper. And you’d get the headlight and that plastic trim piece second hand from a scrapyard or Ebay.

Or you could go through insurance if you have fully comprehensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

Thats wildly optimistic imo.

The damage to the wing is in the corner where all the angles are so I doubt a garage will even try and fix that so that's a new wing required, plus painting.

Edit - that wing is not economically repairable at all

The bumper clips could also be damaged beyond repair and all snapped which could mean possibly a new bumper.

A new headlight will not be cheap also

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Thanks for the feedback. Excess on the insurance is 500 so not sure whether it'll be worth claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Headlights these days are at least a grand. And many can cost up to 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

New wing, new bumper, new headlight and whatever else might have been damaged behind the panels.

My A7 needed similar when it was backed into while parked about a year and a half ago. Fortunately covered by the other person's insurance.

Cost was over 5k though! Headlight alone was well over a grand.

EDIT.. for reference this was how mine looked - headlight pushed back and mountings damaged, headlight washer damaged/leaking, bumper and clips damaged etc:

Insurance job pricing is stupid tho and shouldn’t be used to gauge how much OP will be charged. They take the absolute piss for insurance jobs. One time I got a quote of €6,000 to repair a damaged wing on a VW Golf through insurance, or they said they’d do it for €600 cash instead? Second place quoted me €3,800. I had it repaired perfectly for €600. Second dealing, family member had a very minor collision with a parked car. Her car was quoted €1,800 to fix, and the other car involved was quoted €5,800. This was for minor scuffs and scratches. Both could have easily been repaired for under €1,000.

To me its fairly obvious that OP’s car doesn’t need any new parts. I’ve had cars in way worse states than that repaired to a good standard without using new parts. Its a VW T-Roc I think. I’m looking at replacement headlamps and wing liners on Ebay for €250 all in. Plus the cost of fitting them and repairing the panels and painting etc. I don’t see why it would cost anything over €1,000 all in. I’ve had a lot worse fixed for a lot less. Even if had to buy a wing and a bumper from a scrapyard it wouldn’t break the bank. Especially if you found one in the right colour.

• Advertisement

Yeah but it needs a new wing 100% , possibly a new bumper and it needs a new headlight. Unless op is going to source this stuff himself from a scrapyard because there is no chance a bodyshop is going to go looking for used parts for him.

The 5k quote above is a piss take insurance quote through.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

^^^ is why insurance companies like for their preferred companies to do the work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Two extremes. A quote "for the insurance" will inevitably be optimistic, and the low ball alternative from our very own "Arthur Daly" is purely to minimise cost (with dubious quality no doubt).

Realistic quote is probably 400-500 to replace wing and spray it.

If bumper isn't damaged behind and just needs to be sprayed another 400

(I have yet to find a bodyshop that will only spray the corner of a bumper, the quotes I have gotten for my current bumper which needs to be sprayed from 2 places is 400 cash and they refuse to spray only the corner as it won't blend properly they will only spray the whole thing)

Headlight, who knows. If I was not going through insurance I would be looking for a used one probably cost 250 at a guess.

New headlight I guess 600-1200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Slightly off topic

I have a bit of minor surface paint damage on my rear bumper (corner and dead centre I was going to fill and touch up, but only if I can get a good blend. Am I wasting my time and should just get the whole thing sprayed ?

If its dead centre then you’ll need to respray the whole bumper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thanks. Yes, dead centre.

Advertisement