Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Octavia 1.6 diesel Mk 3 Dpf

Options
  • 12-05-2024 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi

Is there any way I can keep an eye on the condition of the Dpf of a 2016 Skoda Octavia 1.6 diesel Mk 3?

Is it true that these car with this engine rarely give Dpf problems with Dpf regeneration even taking place on short town journeys?

Also is there any ways of telling when a regeneration is happening on this car?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’re generally not bad at all and mine (2.0) will regen just driving around. My rule of thumb is to not interrupt a regen (as it will idle at 1000rpm instead of 800rpm) stop/start doesn’t work when it’s regenning so that’s another clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Birka

You can download DPF monitor for VAG, using a suitable dongle for the OBD port. Mine regenerates at idle, given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kealyboy

The general consensus is that diesels need to be driven on the motorway for certain period time for a regeneration to take place. Is this just a Skoda Octavia thing that they can regen when just driving around town or idle?

Have you actually clarified that yours does regenerate at idle when using the Dpf app connected to you car?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Birka

• Advertisement

There’s a general consensus that you need to go down the motorway in 4th with the engine screaming for a DPF to regen too 🤣

There’s an element of truth in it, as in at motorway speeds you won’t be turning the engine off, and the engine will get up to temperature. It definitely helps but it’s not essential. There are plenty cars that never see a motorway or dual carriageway.

That’s good to know, thank you. I just heard people giving out about people buying diesel cars when they mostly do town driving and say if you’re not going on long mileage journeys the DPF will get clogged up and give you bother. If you’re doing town driving just buy a petrol engine car.

why would you bother going petrol then if you’re going to get better miles per gallon out of the diesel? Even if you’re just driving around town mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭User1998

You can still get expensive DPF problems even if you only drive on the motorway. All it takes is a sensor to stop working or an unrelated fault code to appear and the DPF will stop regenerating. Then theres also the Adblue stuff that can go wrong too. Theres really no reason to buy a diesel if your just pottering around town.

To be clear - I would never buy a diesel if I was doing that sort of driving you describe. The car will decide it wants to do a regen when it suits the car and not when it suits you. I do a mixture of driving but the main point is the car needs to get up to temp and you need to have the car driving while the regen is happening. I reckon most issues are caused by interrupted regens.

I do a mixture of driving as well. It’s funny you said those clues to recognise when a regen is taking place because today I was driving out the countryside for about 30 kilometres, then when I came up a build up area and stopped in traffic I noticed the stop/start was deactivated and the car was idling at 1000rpm instead of the usual 800rpm. I knew the Dpf must be regenerating now. I was near home so I decided to keep driving the car as I did not want to turn the car off and interrupt the regen. I had to drive around the town and ring road for an additional 15 kilometres before the cars stop/start activated again and was idling at 800rpm again. So I presumed the Dpf regen was complete and I returned home.

If this happens again and I was near home could I just drive straight home and leave the car with the ignition on in the driveway and wait until the stop/start activated again and car idling at 800rpm? Bit of a pain and time consuming driving around until regen stops.

Thanks

• Advertisement

it will definitely take longer when it’s idling than if you’re moving. It’s technically possible for it to do it once the temperatures are right but that’s a pain and not generally done.

how often does it regen (ball park figure) once in how many km

I would guess every 300-400km but it just depends on how full the filter gets. If you enable the oil temp on the maxidot to display you can guess when it’s doing regens too as oil temp goes up.

sorry for all the questions now but would normal oil Temp be approx compared to when the car is doing a region. I will enable the oil temp on the maxidot and keep an eye on it. thanks

For me, oil temp would normally be up to 100 degrees, sometimes going a few degrees beyond that depending on how hard the car is working. When a regen happens you could see it go up to 107/108 and back down, and up again.

Not something I’d be religiously checking but it’s handy to have.

Advertisement