Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zinsser and priming concrete h posts

Options
  • 11-05-2024 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

which is the right zinsser to use as a primer on concrete posts outside? It’s confusing. There is a fleetwood primer that’s a bit cheaper but not sure if it’s any good either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭geographica

May I ask why you are priming concrete posts? Can’t you paint directly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Don't bother with a primer, I used some outdoor concrete paint on mine years ago and its still perfect looking years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭LimerickGray

I did that last year an it pealed off or bubbles formed in the rain. I took a wire brush and scraper to it last week to start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Owatrol oil is grand mixed in with the first coat only. Then just straight paint in on that.

thanks. I’ll give it a try. Zinsser very expensive

• Advertisement

Owatrol oil is far from cheap either!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Was it a new post that might have been dusty/chalky at the time you painted it?

it Wasn’t new but it had never been painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

Owatrol oil is only usable with oil based paints.

Owatrol E-B is the mix in primer for use with masonary paints.

If you use it make sure you only use it for the first coat.

Ah crap. Apologies OP. It was the EB I was thinking of. I have both in the shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Zinnser BIN is great tac and adheres to literally anything but it's states on the tin it's an interior primer so not sure I'd use it on concrete fence posts. That said it also says on the tin that it can be used for exterior spot coverage on knots, rust stains, copper oxide etc so not definate answer.

I remember seeing good advise on this forum a couple of years ago regarding prepping and painting window sills for a lasting finish but can't find it now with the inept search function since the site downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El_robbo1980

Did mine 4 years ago with Dulux Weathershield and still perfect with no peeling. Applied the first (primer) coat as 50/50 thinned with water then two more coats. 2.5L of WS not that expensive

Advertisement