Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutter Cleaning - best time of year?

Options
  • 11-05-2024 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

When is best to clean gutters? Possibly more than once a year is ideal, but if you were only going to do the job once annually, when is best?

It's a housing estate, but a good few tall trees nearby, and the garden collects bin-loads of leaves through Autumn. They were cleaned last June and seemed OK for winter, though a lot of moss clumps washed down not long afterwards during heavy rain in late summer - possibly from the attached semi-d that appear to have a forest growing in the gutters.

I feel like December makes sense, to clear out after most leaves have fallen, but is that too late to prepare for heavy rain? Is Autumn or Spring a better choice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭well24

I do mine in spring

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If there are trees nearby I think you need to do them a couple of times really.

Also important to ensure that the downspouts are clear and the gulley itself isnt blocked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 newbie1956

probably best to clean them in autum just before winter as there will be more rain to contend with

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Really you just need to keep on top of them, we can get heavy rain at any time of year, so if they are blocked with leaves or moss you are going to get leaks/overflows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

I clean my own gutters at least twice a year, due to the amount of leaves and moss that we get in them. It's certainly a lot easier and cleaner job to clean the gutters after a dry spell, when gutters are not so full of water.,

• Advertisement
Advertisement