Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple tread - Vodafone Ireland broadband and TV with own Asus router

Options
  • 11-05-2024 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Gigabox is not a bad piece of kit, but more often than not a decent router is much better.

I switched a few days ago from Virgin Media.

First thing I did after validating broadband and TV are working was to change Gigabox in bridge mode. Mistake! I'm yet to find a way to changing it back to router mode. Despite spending some time with Vodafone on the call and chat. But ultimately that's not needed.

Vodafone presentation is ethernet so I plugged it in directly to my router.

WAN link has to be PPPoE.

Username gigabox_serial_number@vfieftth.ie
    Passwork broadband

gigabox_serial_number is located on the bottom of the box. I don't know if it's case sensitive or not. All characters in SN are caps so I typed if with caps. And likely it's the last time one will need that box.

Important setting: vlan for internet is 10. There are here a bunch of posts sharing this critical piece of information.

I use an Asus router and I'll share below a screen grab with where the vlan information must be added.

With PPPoE and without vlan, router will get a private IP from 10.x range, but as expected, nothing will be working.

TV - and this took me a good while to figure it out.

Multicast routing must be enable on the router! IGMP v3 is default in Asus and it's working just fine with Vodafone.

If one is looking to connect TV box via wireless, IGMP Snooping must be enable under Wireless→Professional under the radio where TV box will connect to (doesn't hurt to enable it on all radios).

That would be all. I'll experiment at a later date if fast leave improves speed of changing the channels. But so far is fast enough and it's working just fine.

While TV if on playing a random channel broadband delivers for me full 1G download and 100mbps upload. Router's CPU and memory are not impacted in any ways - but I do have a powerfull model so in my case that was not a concern.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

To change back from bridge mode it may take a few tries but this is the only way I was able to do it. Tried everything but seen this somewhere else on boards and eventually worked after I think 2 tries.

When the gigabox is powered on, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.While still holding the reset button pressed, unplug the power and hold the reset button for another 30 seconds. While still holding the reset button down, turn on the plug it in again and hold for another 30 seconds.

Advertisement