Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Lights - best settings

Options
  • 11-05-2024 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

what are the best settings to photograph northern lights with a canon 6d mark ii and 17-40mm lens? had the wrong lens on last night, and tried to use P mode but couldn't get a good pic. I'm not that knowledgeable with manual settings yet but want to be better prepared for tonight if they do reappear…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You’ll just need to mess about with the settings in manual mode till you get what you want for your conditions. Shutter speed 15 - 25 seconds, iso as low as you can manage and aperture somewhere in the mid range f7 - f13.

Most importantly you need to be in manual focus mode. It doesn’t really matter what you focus in but your lens will probably keep hunting if you’re in auto focus. Its a button on the lens, not the camera.

Tripod is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My wife wants to give taking some photos tonight. Her camera is an old FinePix and the longest shutter speed and F stop are 8 seconds and F2.9. I can also change the "film" ISO to something like 1600 (there are settings for 3200 and 6400).

Any ideas if that will work at all? Have good tripod.

There is also a setting for taking photos of fireworks so that looks like its worth a try.

Wake me up when it's all over.

It might do. It just depends on cloud cover etc, where you are. I’m not familiar with the camera so don’t know if it’s known to be good in low light situations.

One of my photos from last night, 3 of us went out in Donegal, all photography amateurs but all first timers looking for the aurora. We all had different cameras but helped each other out and figured it out between us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My settings last night (Sony A1)

14mm lens, 13s, f2.8, ISO 400, tripod. Manual focus. This is 4 shots stitched

Obviously shooting in a suburban environment, so my settings might have been a bit different if I was in a darker place. Apart from stitching the panorama (which Photoshop can do automatically), there's hardly any post-processing in this shot - a teeny bit of Texture in Lightroom to bring out the stars (which you can't even see at the size Boards resizes the image to).

Apart from choosing a better location - (I was stuck with being at my house, so I could only venture over to a local green), next time, I'd take 8 or 10 shots for the pano, and get a little more foreground and not cut off the top of the arch.

The lens (Sony 14mm G Master) can do f1.8 - I don't think opening it up wide would have made much difference (knocked a second off the exposure).

I never thought 14mm wouldn't be wide enough, but the arch was huuuuuge. If you're shooting at 17mm, and you don't have an interesting foreground subject, try a pano with 10 or 12 shots.

Here's a crop of a singe 14mm shot of the top of the arch from my back garden (just cut the bottom off it, because it was the roof of a house). This was 1.3s at ISO 3200 (I must have knocked the tripod slightly, because there's motion on the stars). Had to run a little noise reduction on this one with the higher ISO.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,910 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I used a 12-40mm f2.8 zoom. M4/3 camera so 12mm is same fov as a full frame sensor camera lens at 24mm. Small sensor so ISO 200, 400 and 800 were used, but wound it back to 400. Exposures of 15 sec at iso 200 as I was feeling my way, but found the groove around 4am, with 8 sec exposures at ISO 400.

I started out processing the images straight but found I frankly prefer detuning the red channel a bit as my sensor was delivering just too lurid pinks and reds, swamping the other colours present.

This was 12mm, f2.8, iso 400, 8 sec unadjusted straight out of the camera

And this is the adjusted version with some curves tweaking of the RGB channels individually, pulling some red out by not increasing the highlights as much as G&B, increased highlights and pulled the curve low in shadows and up a bit in the mids to give a slight S curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I was on the East Pier in Howth last night. Using a Nikon Z8 and a 7Artisans 10mm Fish Eye full frame manual lens (no electronics at all). Single fame, shot at ISO 3200, f/2.8, 2.5". The lights are moving so personally I think a shorter shutter speed is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Some class pics there folks 👌🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Alexus25

Surprised you got any picture in such a lit up area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dam099

Canon EOS R6 with RF-16mm @ f/2.8, 8 seconds, ISO 640 (Auto ISO)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

it’s Ennis, Co. Clare. The street lighting is pretty local and small-scale, rather than the kind of invasive light pollution Dublin City has. I can take acceptable shots of the Andromeda galaxy from here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭ablelocks

thanks for all the info - photos are class. we had cloud cover last night where i am. feck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Lovely pictures.. everybody , thanks for posting .

Saw them Friday night /Sat morning but only a phone with me and cloud cover last night .

Great to see them though .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,910 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thanks @cnocbui

Advertisement