Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Invisible Rail Station? (& signage matters)

Options
  • 11-05-2024 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

RE: Rail Station Promotion & Signage

AKA vote - Ireland’s most ‘invisible train station’.

It seems to me that a quite a number of train stations are hard to identify even close up when viewed from the adjacent roads – and often do very little to promote their presence.

Also, that in the scale of transport projects, a national ‘Way-finding’ and station façade & curtilage signage project, would be very straight-forward and not very expensive or time consuming effort (and could very likely be done in-house by IE/CIE/NTA by a very small team).

Signage project template headings?…

e.g.

Waterford-Clonmel-Limerick Junction Line

‘X’ Station

Station Façade sign(s) – positions & type

Station Curtilage sign(s) – position & type

Finger Post Signs - Inner Circle (immediate locality) – marked map: 1-4 locations

Finger Post Signs – Outer Circle (wider area) – marked map(s): 1-4 locations

… Any finger post signs for stations should probably be the wider/fatter version of the usual type seen historically e.g. for general town directions and B&Bs etc.

A standard finger post format of:

Staisiun Y’ [Insert train Symbol] ‘ZZm’ –

in as big as text/symbols possible might work best.

– but e.g. Chapter 4 of the Irish Signs Manual also gives standard rail and bus station sign symbols. Plenty of companies sell finger post signs, and one I came across claims to service public sector needs in particular.

(I’m not sure ‘Section 254’ applications to County Councils, and with initial fees, and yearly fees (if any) would apply to IE/CIE/NTA, and/ or if erected say just off motorway junctions).

I’ll note though 3 examples of such fingerpost signage (from Bray, Gorey and Rathdrum) a little later.

(Even painted stencil signs on the bottom margin of existing, large general advertising billboards in the curtilage/ adjacent to train stations, e.g. Drogheda & Gorey, would be helpful for wayfinding (and advertisement) to stations).

Otherwise, my votes for most 'invisible' train stations = Rathdrum, Gorey, Tipperary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭blackbox

I suggest that the station signs should also identify if park and ride is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was going to suggest Broadstone since it isn't a train station anymore, but it's a Luas stop so probably doesn't count

My actual vote is Broombridge since it's in the middle of an industrial estate and last time I went through it didn't have a station house or any ticket machines

Pretty sure there wasn't even a signpost

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 36 A1ACo

Maybe the outer circle of fingerpost/similar signs (to direct people coming from further afield) could include a Park&Ride symbol - instead of the name of station - to save space for fewer, but larger symbols/ text.

It also occurs to me, that besides making signage a little more complicated if they have to be partly bespoke to include station names - that maybe including the station name might encourage some collectors to steal them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

You obviously haven't been there recently . They've done it up a bit now, has station signs , route maps, timetable board, ticket machine and even a lift. Plenty of signage. Missing one of those next train displays though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Wow, I'm genuinely impressed, I figured Irish Rail wouldn't bother given their history of putting anything there

Last time I went through there, both shelters had been burned out and all the leap card readers were smashed. The ticket inspectors would give you a slip of paper to say you got on at Broombridge if you showed them the leap card

Good to see it's finally getting some attention, maybe there's hope yet for Irish Rail

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

As mentioned above, three versions/eras below of rail (& bus) station Directional/ informative, Finger-post signs.

Above on road junction adjacent to car park serving Gorey Rail Station (Finger post sign since turned towards station!).

DART Finger post sign circa 2.5km from Bray Rail (& bus) station.

Finger post sign on approach road to Rathdrum Rail station.

& from the (Irish) Traffic Signs Manual (DoT : Trafficsigns.ie):

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Couldn't care less what they look like as long as they are there and point the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

A vote for Manulla Junction, you cannot even drive up to it any more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Considering that it's mean to be an internal transfer-only station, I don't necessarily see why you should be able to.

Advertisement