Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Infant places

Options
  • 10-05-2024 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi my school has experienced a big drop in enrollments this year (number of different principals the last few years - no principal this year - had acting principal). We got a newly appointed principal recently. We are trying to get some more junior infants enrolled for September. We've done a leaflet drop, visited creches/montessoris put up posters locally in the last couple of weeks but NO calls/emails/enquiries. Is it too late to get new enrollments at this stage in May given that enrollments start in January? We don't mind trying but don't want to be wasting our time if it's at too late a stage in the school year...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Really depends on where you are located and whether schools are oversubscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

I’d imagine most already have their places sorted since enrolment opened, unless they’re new to the area. Where we live this would be in October/November.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MilkMusic

Yes I imagine most will have places. Hoping to change some minds…not sure if other schools are oversubscribed.. have heard one is packed in the nearest town..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The presence of an after-school service for child care has worked for a few schools a small rural school had parents passing the local village school to go to the rural school because it had after-school services sign up for the free school meals, take children from the age of 4, sell your self in some way that the other nearest school doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MilkMusic

We have an after school club, school bus, which we make sure to mention and we participate in the free lunches initiative. Lots of extracurricular activities. Active facebook, twitter. The changes in management definitely haven't helped

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Schools aren't allowed to "canvass" for new entrants and you may create problems with other schools if there is a perception that you are poaching their students. You could try an "open night" but in reality, most parents will have accepted places by now and are unlikely to change their minds.

Taking children who are barely 4 simply to boost numbers for a year is not something I would condone. At best, it's going to be difficult for most children of that age to settle in and may well have longer-reaching consequences. And before someone says "I started at 4 and I was grand,"the school system has become more complex year on year for the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

about 30 years ago one of my cousins had the principal of the local primary knock on her door and asked her would send one of hers who has turned 4 in August to school or else he was going to lose a teacher. At the time it was a very small rural village now it is surrounded by massive development.

About 15 years ago a friend of one of my sisters sent her youngest to a rural school because they would take them at 4 whereas the village school wouldn't do that.

Of course, people should not be doing those things but they do.

Advertisement