Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora Watch May 10th 2024

Options
  • 10-05-2024 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

With the very major solar activity today, I see reports of a high likelyhood that we'll see the Aurora tonight.

I am in South Dublin but I aim to find somewhere dark and hope for a clear sky!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Reports coming in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Any particular time most likely for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Midnight onwards looks good.

Pink skies across Europe right now

https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/lucknerhaus/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭denismc

Its all kicking off here in Antrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭denismc

Just with my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Crappy phone pic, wasn't expecting to see it this intense

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Pictures seem to come out better with something else in view..

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

very strong north co dublin right now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Clara Offaly right now unforgettable night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

phone pics sw donegal , saw few shooting stars as well

Post edited by ednwireland on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Sorry I didn't realise the pictures would have to be clicked on to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

D6w

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Midlands.

Been a few years waiting to see one.

Peaks tomorrow I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ricimaki

County Limerick.

Would highly recommend getting as far away from any street lights as you can

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

From Ennis, Co. Clare (Four 13 second exposures at 14mm combined into a panorama)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

G5!!!!! kp9!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Strangford Lough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

🌒 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Folks this may be a once-in-a-lifetime event! Incredible photographs. Even in light-polluted Dublin I went to Carrickgollogan hill, Leadmines, and I took some decent photos, 30s exp with flashlight infill:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

Had it really good in North Cork last night from 1130 to 0130 started to get hazy then. Best I've ever seen here, last good one was around 2002/03 but this is a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Great photos folks. Last night was first time for me to see them in person and they were a little faint to the naked eye, but my camera picked them up pretty good. This was just after midnight.

I used the guidance from here to set the camera up correctly:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/space-weather/taking-photos-of-the-auroras

These were the two best shots I got:

These were taken on the edge of the Slieve Felims, 25KM west of Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭keithb93

any good spots near cork city that I could drive to to see this? I missed it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Friday night I found that if i was in an area with no lights whatsoever in my field of view that after abut 30 minutes the colours and wavy patterns were the same to my eyes as i see in the photographs. If i looked at my phone screen to take photographs then it til another half hour or so for my vision to get back to seeing the colourful display, so i stopped taking photographs until i was ready to go home. I was out for hours lying down on a picnic blanket looking up.

Then on Saturday I was with family in the same location that was empty on Friday and there were 4 or 5 cars there with headlights left on and ruining it for everyone. People all looking at their phones.

We didnt see anything on Saturday at all but surely the experience, if there was anything to be seen, would have been diminished with headlights and phones and torches everywhere, so not even sure if there was anything to see or if they were drowned out because our eyes never got to adjust. It was too late anyway at that point to go to a darker more isolated location as the cloud was coming in then.

Advertisement