Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Compounding and polishing

Options
  • 10-05-2024 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

I bought 3m heavy cutting compound and 3m polish for afterwards as suggested by my local motor factors. I was also given the correct polishing head for the compound and another for polishing

Now I'm trying on a scrapped car first. When I do the compound how soon after do I wait until I start polishing ? Will I need to clean off any excess compound before polishing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

3m compound can be a bit of a pain, you might need to give it a light mist of water if it's dries too quickly. Compound the whole car section by section, work the compound in till it's clear on the paintwork then wipe off as you go then go over the whole car with he polish section by section. If you can clean out the pad every so often

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mengele

I tried a bit last night on one section and it did a great job on bringing up the colour but then this morning there was also a residue of compound left on the metal. Did I just use too much compound ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Are you going to go over the car with a clay bar first?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mengele

I thought the cutting compound would do that job?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

A good rule of thumb is 4 to 5 pea size drops of compound or polish on the pad. Sounds like you used too much and didn't wipe it off properly. Look up a few videos on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

You want the car as decontaminated as possible before polishing otherwise your pads will get embeded with crap that will mar of the paint. So wash, de-iron, de-tar, clay, then start on your paint correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I'd always recommend going over the car with a clay bar first. They do a great job.

Advertisement