Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need Help on Next Car Choice & What I'd Get For Scraps For Mine or to Sell It

Options
  • 09-05-2024 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm a relatively new driver, passed my test a year ago and got my first car 2.5 years ago. I have a Citroen C3 2008 and its served me well, didn't have to put any money into it until now. BUT now I have an ECU problem where it's showing low oil (and beeping) after about 10k each drive even though it's been checked over twice with oil change, sensor changed, new thermostat, new fan, and connecting tube to coloant changed. Yet still beeps and the mechanic (sound lad) has advised me not to put more money into it because he's sure it's the ECU which is common as these models age and it'd cost more than the car. But that it's ok to drive around for now and will likely pass NCT in Sept.

Now here's the thing. My plan had been to sell my car next year after passing this NCT and get a new one. But I just morally cannot sell it without telling the person about the ECU issue, even if it passes the NCT. I'd hate it done to me and it's just not right. So I'm wondering what would I get for parts. It has a new battery, new brakes (2.5 years old), and the other fixes above. I've been looking online but I don't see any with ECU issues. So I'm not sure what to advertise it as or for how much. e.g. do I just advertise it for parts or as a normal car sales saying has ECU problem? Would I get 500 for it or is that optimistic?

I am also on the lookout for a new car. I'll have to finance it as I wasn't ready for this one to conk yet and I'd like to get a newer one with a bit more horsepower now that I'm used to driving. I drive mainly around Dublin but I do a few trips to Donegal and down the country also so I'd like an balance of a city runaround with a bit more power. Style wise I like hatchbacks with a bit of a sporty look but I don't like the very low ceilings (I'm tall) with some. Looking for manual preferably, I know automatics are the way forward an all but I just genuinely like driving and doesn't feel the same in an automatic (but if it was a lot cheaper of course I'd consider it, just unlikely it would be!).

The car won't be driven long distances daily, just a few short trips weekly and then some longer drives monthly.

I am looking at around 8k range max from min 2014 and was looking at:

- Petrol or Hybrid.

- Toyota Yaris, Aqua, Prius, Avensis (outlier to the hatchbacks)

- Vauxhall Corsa / Opel Corsa

- SEAT Ibiza

- Peugout 308. 208 (I have always loved these cars, I know they get a bad rep but my french car lasted my friend many years and me nearly 3 in its old age so I'm wondering how deserved the rep is - is it a definite steer clear?)

I'd be really grateful for any advice. I defo know much more about cars now than starting out, but as a 38 yr old woman who only started learning 2.5 years ago and passed a year ago, I'm still a bit of a newbie with it all.

All advice welcomed, even if it's to tell me some of my options are nuts.

Post edited by PoisonIvyBelle on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

I've heard of nothing but awful reviews of 208s and 308s. Never heard of anyone who enjoyed theirs, actually, now that I think of it.

And the opposite is true of Ibizas, never heard of a bad one. Including me. Learned to drive in the Mrs' one and never had an ounce of truble with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Ah ok. Yeah it's more a childhood thing for me, I was obsessed with the 206 as a teen and always wanted one. Well I'll rule that one out!

Good to hear on Ibizas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Just on the ECU, have you or your mechanic had a look for one from a breakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Is the fault low oil or low oil pressure? Low oil fault - keep driving, Low oil pressure dont drive it

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭pauly58

I'd suggest anything Toyota, the Yaris is bullet proof.

• Advertisement

Low oil pressure but he definitely said I'm fine to keep driving it and there's nothing mechanically wrong with it, only beeps the odd time when I slow down at lights, it's been fixed and checked 3 times over, it's the ECU. No leaks or engine problems.

I won't be doing any long trips though. Just runabouts in Dublin when needed until I get a new one.

On the ecu from breakers Q: He didn't, got the impression he thought it wasn't worth it.

but I was going to get a new one next year anyway so prob no point replacing that just to be buying a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

They're varying prices. I didn't check specifically for your model, would need more info, but there are ECUs for that car generally for sale on eBay from €35 up to €250. Might be worth checking.

Might get you more money when selling if it's fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Leatra

Since you mention Ibizas, I'll say that I absolutely love mine - it's a 1.2 TSI, FR spec with 90hp. There are a couple on DoneDeal that are within your budget and have that little bit more oomph over the lower spec Ibiza. It's a firm enough ride on potholes, but that spec comes with very nice front seats. It's also a bit road-noisy, but any small car will be if it's not a Polo or Fiesta. On the whole, it's a fun little car that I love driving and I'd definitely recommend trying one out.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's defo on my list, all that's putting me off the smaller ones is that I'd like more power on the motorway. But for around Dublin I know a massive engine will just be costing me money, so I was thinking like a 1.4. I'll look at that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭djan

This one has potential and should have plenty of room to haggle. Definitely would get it checked out by a mechanic on a lift first but a really fun car to drive with plenty of power. Now it is automatic but worth consideration regardless.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-ibiza-cupra-1-4-tsi-180-bhp-petrol/34863264

Thank you! I must look if it comes in manual as I love the look of it. TBH I'm 100% on manual, esp when I'm going to be paying more this time - my first car was a cheap 1400 one but now I want to get something that I actually like, you know? :) Although I have grown to love my wee Betsy lol.

Advertisement