Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is ROS refusing to give me a refund to my bank account details for an over payment of PAYE?

Options
  • 06-05-2024 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Very confused by recent reply I got in relation to my efforts to get my overpaid PAYE income tax refunded from last year. It took far longer than expected to get registered for ROS with my first letter of temporary PIN code going missing and needing to be sent again. I have used the button on the ROS website to enter bank details for PAYE refunds but on asking why I got another notification to submit bank account details even after submitting them on ROS I got this message which I find confusing:

"Thank
    you for your correspondence. The Bank Account details are on record for
    PAYE. The refund due to you is for Income Tax (IT) and there are
    currently no bank details recorded for that tax head on record. Please
    update in order for the refund to issue. "

The tax that was overpaid last year was from an employer through PAYE so I don't know why they are saying this is not PAYE. Can they not see that the tax due to be refunded was from a regular PAYE employer? Is it common for ROS to be this obstructive of tax refunds?

Thanks for any advice or assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just go into you ros account and register the same bank details for income tax

• Registered Users Posts: 25,787 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Once you are registered for Income Tax, all your PAYE income and tax is dealt with as part of Income Tax.

So as the poster above said, you need to put your bank details under Income Tax too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭macraignil

How do I do this? My details are already entered in the PAYE section and I see no option to enter bank details for income tax. When signed in and I go to my profile it simply allows me edit the existing bank details with nothing about how to use these details for income tax. An accountant entered a return for me to say I had no non PAYE income last year so I have no idea how I am now to enter the Revenue Online Services for Income tax separately from PAYE.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tipp1991

Are you registered for income tax? Even if you (or your agent) submitted a nil return, PAYE under/overpayments are handled under Income Tax on ROS if you are registered for Income Tax.

If you're not registered for Income Tax, you should be using Revenue myAccount and not ROS

This is from the homepage on ROS. Select Manage Bank Accounts then Manage EFT under Refunds.

Beside IT, it should have a Bank Account linked, if not, click Input. To be sure, have the one beside PAYE the same as the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭macraignil

Thanks for your help. I will have to contact the accountant to find that out. I had not realised there was a complete different system for online services if they had registered me for income tax to make the nil return. I had believed since all my income last year was through PAYE that it was with that system that I registered for online services.

No problem. I have submitted nil returns for income tax in the past but going through Form 12, it will seek details of your PAYE work and totals for the relevant year. Once that information is input, it will give you details of an overpayment/underpayment at the end.

I think it's set up in such a way that if you had a tax liability of say €500 from additional non-PAYE work, and you have a €400 overpayment in PAYE work, you can offset one against the other and only have a €100 liability so to speak.

Your accountant may have to re-submit/amend your Form 12 with details/sums from the PAYE employment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

they always send me a cheque despite having my bank details, go figure.

Advertisement