Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you find out where sewerage drains and inspection chambers are in back garden of house?

Options
  • 05-05-2024 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭

hi all - been down to my daughters house today and they have a bit of a problem with sink /bathroom drains blocked (toilets are working OK) so I thought well thats OK I will just flip the lids of the inspection chambers and give them a rod or see if they are full of water … thing is I could not find any inspection chambers there, I am pretty sure there has got to be them there but they are covered by either Grass lawn or loose gravel on the patio area . I Found some of the 4" sewerage pipe about a couple of feet under the gravel patio area, but was making a right mess trying to follow the pipe and trace it to some kind of inspection chambers / manhole covers that I give up , I could have been there all day trying to follow the route of these sewerage pipes and still not get anywhere.

So what plans would they be looking for to show them the original routes the sewerage / soil pipes and inspection chambers on their property to take out the guesswork out of all this please can someone tell me?

House was built circa 2002 and they have a Septic tank, its not on the mains sewerage system . They moved in a couple of years back.

Thanks,
    Andy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭10-10-20

AJ's (Access Junctions) should be left exposed... if they aren't... you'll have issues Andy. I'd try locate the the soil pipe exit points and look around 1m out from the house, usually there would be an AJ there.

My house is also from 2002 and the AJs are in really silly places, one or two are covered, but I know where they are now after doing a bit of investigating.

If it gets to a point where you really can't find the AJs, call a drain inspection company and they can use a sond device to create a ping and trace the pipe under the ground.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

excellent advice and I will pass that onto my daughter thanks. - Yeah that sounds like a great device that can ping and trace the pipe underground. i was kind of wondering that myself actually I wondered if any of these drain companies that had some equipment to trace pipes buried underground.

Advertisement