Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT fail? Damage to the wheel rim

Options
  • 05-05-2024 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

I am so annoyed - I have an NCT this week and have the car fully prepared and ready to go in for the test.

Then today I had to swerve to avoid an idiot and hit the kerb and now my wheel rim is damaged. Had the trims off for the test!

Will this be an automatic fail? I should probably just save myself the fee and cancel and re-book if I have to get this repaired, or even replaced?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yes but that's a wheel you can fix. I did it years ago with a Mondeo and used a large lump hammer to beat out the lip. Wasn't easy but worth a go. Failing that, a trip to the scrapper for a wheel and if you are lucky the tyre might be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It's a new tyre 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Go back to the tyre place and see if they can fix it or source a replacement.

Your tracking could be out as a result of the impact.

Just got the tracking done on Saturday!!!

FML. Somebody up above hates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭User1998

Check the NCT manual. I doubt its a fail

• Advertisement

Next question, could it be dangerous to drive on?

I'm paranoid about stuff like this...

FML again, the back rim is damaged too. Not as bad, but still.

Relax, its only going to be a free visual re test. If even. I doubt its even a fail.

I hope so, but I'll call into the tyre place on Tuesday and see what they think, if they can be repaired or if not I'll replace them. I'm sure it would no bother to move the new tyres onto new wheels. I can't see any damage to the tyres.

I've calmed down a bit and it could be worse, no one was hurt. As my mam used to say when something like this happened, "let all your bad luck go with it".

But if I caught the scrote on the scooter I swerved to avoid now, I'd hurt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

A few belts of a hammer will straighten it out, I'd really doubt they'd even fail that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭Shoog

It makes a blow out more probable so will probably be a fail since it's an essential safety issue. Been steel it should beat out but would likely benefit from heating to red hot first.

A blow out is what I'd worry about.

Nope, not worth it, I'll bring it in and get it sorted.

Wouldn't be strong enough to do it myself, and would be afraid if I tried I'd make it worse.

Thanks all. 🚗

• Registered Users Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭CoBo55

A few thumps with a sledge hammer will sort it, any tyre place will do it for you. You're lucky they're steel wheels. Could you put the spare on instead of the most badly damaged one for the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭enricoh

No need to heat it, few taps with a hammer is all it needs. Not being smart but yer making a mountain out of a molehill going near a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chippy01

To damage the outside of the wheels like that on a kerb, it must have been quite a bang. Did you check to see if the inside of the wheel is also damaged?
    Also, just because no damage to the tyre can be seen on the outside, it could still be damaged on the inside. When you get the tyres removed to fix the rims, check the inside of the tyre as well.

Yeah I'll get it all checked out, better to be safe than sorry, and yep, it hit hard enough. But better than hitting the idiot on the scooter, I suppose.

It's just bad luck it happened today, and tomorrow is a bank holiday, with test on Tuesday. The next NCT date on the website is September!

Next NCT date is irrelevant. Like I said, free visual retest. If even.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just imagine you were driving a new car with a nice set of alloys, you could be looking at 2 new wheels and 2 new tyres.

Could be a 1500 quid repair.

As is, you need a man with a hammer for a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭blackbox

In the first picture it looks like there might be a cut in the tyre. If there is, it's a fail. Wheel can easily be fixed.

• Advertisement

I've decided to run it through the test, even though I know its a fail - just for the sake of getting a re-test.

I'll let you all know tomorrow what the result is.

As expected, it failed, but only because of front rim. Only for that it would have passed. C'est lá vie.

Free retest within 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭dontmindme

What car?

Nissan micra (k13)

14 inch wheels

You could just fit the spare wheel for the retest

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just tap it out with a hammer. Thats not a bad one at all.

It's sorted! Called up to the tyre place on my way home and they fixed it on the spot (for free).

Told me to go back down and get my pass cert! But I have to work this afternoon, so I'll go on my lunch tomorrow.

Take a bow, manager and staff of First Stop Tallaght! Literally great bunch of lads, and great customer service. 👍👏

• Registered Users Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No bother to those tyre lads, they do them every day of the week, they get plenty of practice with the bad roads.

Had my retest today and got my pass cert.

All's well that ends well!

Until next time…

• Advertisement
Advertisement