Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on tweeking beef system

Options
  • 05-05-2024 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Currently purchase stores in the Autumn and finish off the grass the following year, bought Calfs last year so I might have to adjust my system for the extra numbers

These Calfs I purchased will be 500kgs next October so should I finish out of the shed next April or would I be better to graze these till mid June? If these got fed well in the shed would there be any need to feed at grass?

I’d like to hear from someone that runs a similar system

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

Don't attempt to winter finish. I have tried it ever which way and while I can make a profit, its not worth the hassle. Winter finishing equals factory control feedlots.

Now if you feed them like I am assuming 'these got fed well in the shed' and let them out on grass, you will be looking for trouble. They simply melt.

Best option with these types is a little more than a maintenance diet inside hit the grass with sharp and fast meal finish.

Did you say bullocks or heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭morphy87

bullocks, when would you call an early finish? If these were 500kgs in the Autumn what weight should I be aiming for say mid June? I don’t sell in June but would that be one of the strongest months for beef prices? I know that they usually start dropping from the end of July onwards

What type of a winter finishing system did you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,247 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What type of cattle are they

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭morphy87

the Calfs that I purchased are hex and lmx, it’s just with the way the weather is going i might have to move on these cattle earlier, not this year but just going foward for next year, these cattle could be more than 500kgs this year

Post edited by morphy87 on

Advertisement