Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any lesser know benefits/perks of working in the civil service?

Options
  • 04-05-2024 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am newly in the CS, with thanks to a lot of lurking and reading advice here.

Security is priority for me and flexi is a game changer but just curious if there are any lesser known benefits. I know the civil service doesn't really have "benefits" per se. Curious if there's anything I should know about that would be worth looking into, PSFS? I think I heard there is a flat rate tax expense or something?

Thanks,

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Phil92

NSSO website that your use for annual leave/ payslips etc should have most schemes listed, but to be honest it isn't much. Refund of Fees Scheme is quite good as well if you have the time in your life outside of work for education.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted222

Cycle to work scheme is a no-brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

Marriage leave - about 4 / 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

Not monetary, but culture, whilst it can very from each Department, is generally quite supportive and pleasant. You aren't really competing against colleagues for promotions (mostly done via public appointment system) and I think many are less inclined towards direct competitiveness, compared to private sector jobs I had.

Your experience may vary.

Also, the morning tea break…quite lax to be honest! Many take more like 30 minute breaks. Again, work dependent and I personally would not, as too much to do, but that is my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hontou

The ability to go on job share in some CS and PS roles and then return to full time. Few private sector jobs offer that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

Yes, this is great! My supervisor has already discussed coaching me to apply for the external EO completion whenever is comes up. Wouldn't expect that in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

just to answer your initial query, there’s no flat rate tax expense for general public servants.

Theres really no specific perks as such BUT any scheme that is launched for workers anywhere (eg cycle to work, taxsaver bus etc) is well known within the public service and much easier to apply for tax than most private sector jobs. Similarly shorter worker year, parental leave, career breaks etc etc are far more common (and well known) in the PS/CS

Most bosses want you to succeed because a) it makes their life easy and b) if you get promoted they’ll use that to show they’re promotion worthy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭3DataModem

More job security.

Easier to get credit during tougher economic times.

Advertisement