Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you watch the daily news? 6 or 9

Options
  • 03-05-2024 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Don't do it myself, I'll check the website daily, but I'd never sit down and watch the whole news time slot, makes we wonder how will news networks operate in the next 10 years and so on. Can't see them lasting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Can always catch up on one of them on the +1 channel if I missed out earlier. Wouldn't watch both the 6.00 and the 9.00 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I used to keep up with the news but I stopped about a year ago. Most of it is so negative and depressing at the moment, I realised that it was getting me down and there's no point in feeling that way over something I have no control over. So ignorance is bliss for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Try to catch the 9pm one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I like to watch the 1, 6 or 9 news but I kinda dip in and out.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I do watch them if I haven’t kept up with what’s happened throughout the day or if a significant event takes place but I’d never really spend more than 10-15 minutes - I certainly don’t watch the whole thing .

I do think though that more than ever there’s a need for quality and respected news - if you look at America with whole stations devoted to either democrat or republican slant to their news and broadcasters RTÉ actually shows up well.

CH4 is good for in depth analysis on certain topics and highlighting news that would otherwise not be covered but it’s good to have a healthy scepticism when watching or reading any news media and make you’re own mind up at the end of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭yagan

Never.

I have an Examiner sub and I'll check that maybe during the day.

Overall I apply the "will it matter in five years?" test, most of what is presented as "news" doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Nope, stopped watching news on TV, I turn off the hourly radio news, and I deleted the news apps on my phone.

I feel much better not being bombarded by misery.

I played a game with my other half every time the news comes on when driving. The top story is always negative. Never once positive.

Nearly always has zero impact on the lives of the average Irish person.

It's nearly always a death, a crime, or a war, and rare enough a negative political situation.

Half the time the first line is "A man has died…"

Why do we need this in our lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Lofidelity

I never watch the full news anymore. When the daily coverage of Gaza or US politics comes on I change channel. It's the same thing every day and irrelevant to my life.

It's funny how there was daily updates on Ukraine, then it was deemed unimportant overnight when Gaza kicked off. Before that it was Covid and Brexit. Daily updates to keep people stressed and afraid.

I could never understand why every Irish radio station compete with eachother to inflict misery on an hourly basis.

The only station I listen to regularly is Lyric, this morning no news bulletins so total bliss. I would prefer if they dropped news bulletins entirely during the week day slots. Music fans don't tune in for misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Glaceon

This! I hate that the regulators here insist on mandatory news and current affairs on all stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭archfi

Stopped watching TV news years ago from all stations, domestic and foreign.

I check the RTE news site several times a day which is word for word what you'll hear on their tv or radio bulletins.

The only time I would turn on tv news would be if a major event happened but more than likely would just look for the video of it from multiple sources.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I get my news from news feeds. As soon as RTE started calling everyone that disagrees with government policy far right I stopped tuning in. They are not an unbiased news source and were not in the past but they have gotten worse, then the spending and outright fraud within the organisation I simple don’t trust anything they put out.

Were rte ever neutral?

I gave up having a tv back in the noughties because of their repeated labelling of advertising shows feeding property debt accumulation as documentary.

Even now all their "houses and hotels you plebs can't afford" seem to chosen by rte untouchables.

No sign of accountability from Dee Forbes yet plebs can be sent to jail for refusing to fund the rte gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Watch both. I find RTEs current affairs output to be top notch, and worthy of the licence fee alone. People who question its independence and impartiality are usually the sort of men (and it’s nearly always men) who have extreme opinions and are tediously contrarian for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I watch both, and also Prime Time and Sky News at Ten. I'm a bit of a news addict and also I don't care for movies, drama or soaps. News and debate is my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,331 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't mind watching a news bulletin. It lasts about 5 minutes and you generally get all the facts.

I find the 6 and 9 news to be to drawn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

i don't tbh.

i find rte has a biased slant a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Back in December 2008 I attended the largest demonstration I had ever seen in Ireland. It was about the education cuts announced in the budget, and it was absolutely massive. When I returned home that evening I turned on the TV to watch the news and see what they said about it.

There was not a single word about the demonstration on the news: that afternoon the government decided to announce the removal of pork products from shops, and the news dealt with little else.

Later, it turned out that the government had known for some time, maybe even a fortnight, about the dioxins in pork - but had withheld the ban until the day of the education cuts demonstration.

That incident finished me with RTÉ. They specifically went along with the government's plan to censor news of the demonstration, and I have never trusted them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Ah the smugness of the virtuous!!

The station, which was granted a monopoly in the Irish media market with a dual revenue model that forces all households to subscribe to RTE and a dominant position in the Irish TV and Radio advertising market, and they still couldn't make it viable, even after more taxpayers money is pumped in by the Government every year!! It's been run into the ground, whether you watch their output or not, surely you should be asking how they find themselves in crisis, oh, and if you can try not to blame white men.

There was a time when presenters on RTE were household names, across TV and Radio…only a handful of those are left, their audience is collapsing, it's one thing being one of the last few who still trust this station, but it's not something you should be smug about really, the station has an appalling record at holding the Government to account.

The entity is like a dog with rabies, it needs to be put down, there is no saving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Are you on the payroll?

RTE is a complete mess and wouldn't be worth a €5 license fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I can understand your view, and I share it for anyone who proclaims that talking heads on Facebook or YouTube are supposedly independent and factual.

However it's true to say that RTE is a government funded agency and is not impartial. Other new agencies are owned by billionaires, conglomerates and definitely push an agenda.

Furthermore, the decline in print media has gutted the revenue streams for established media. Hard hitting investigative journalism is gone, and it seems the average age of journalists is on the decline.

Revenue based on clicks and page impressions means that clickbaiting, passing off opinion as fact, and pandering to bias is profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I watch the news at 5:30 on Virgin Media 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Haven't seen any of them in years. I'll be watching somewhere come general election time though, watching and laughing

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

The news at one time told us what was going on in the world, now it just promotes any given agenda it has been instructed to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Advertisement