Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting in a patio....drainage

Options
  • 03-05-2024 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hello!

We have a new extension going up at the moment and have decided to put in a patio. I have a good idea on how to lay the patio except for drainage. I am unsure if drainage is actually required, and if it is required how to put it in.

Does a smallish patio need its own drainage or would rainwater just soak into the ground?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Do you have planning permission for the extension? There might be conditions regarding drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭standardg60

All depends on the surrounding levels. If they are lower than the patio then you can just leave it run off. If higher then you might need ACO drains connected to the rainwater drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

Yes you will need to consider drainage. As S60 say depends on surrounding levels. Ideally you want to fall away from house into lawn area or planting. If you can't do this then fall towards house and use aco drain. If you keep it level hou will have standing water aka puddles on your patio. So for an area, let's say it extends appox 4 m out from building, a fall of appox 7cm should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 laoismanj

Use cement and an eco drain. I work in pest control and those who lay patios on sand have terrible problems with ants in their house. Not always but often, it keeps me in work

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Tge patio would be lower than the garden... probably one step up to the lawn. So a drain to connect into rainwater drain from the roof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Best to have drainage as 1 year out patio with cement flagstones were under 1" of water and took some time to drain away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What's the best solution for ants under a patio?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep, slope or level back to the house and ACO drain along connected to roof drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Thanks all for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 laoismanj

In an ideal world lift up the slab the nest is under and give it a good spray with insecticide, very effective

• Advertisement
Advertisement