Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension Exemption or Not ??? (Barley Touching)

Options
  • 03-05-2024 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, Im buying a new build and I will need to get some sort of garden unit when I move in for work. was just going to get a 25m2 stand alone garden unit compliant with planning exemption rules (max size allowed). However with one particular house I’m looking at, It occurred to me that given the nature of the house and garden layout, perhaps a garden unit connected directly to the house could be classified as an extension and therefore qualify for a larger footprint, up to 40sqm. 

As you can see in the drawing the house is detached which would allow for this. The area the extension would attach to the house is just 2.2 meters. Also there would be no direct access from the home to the extension, just through the garden, which suits me anyway. So I’m wondering would this still count as an extension, and if so, the same exemption criteria as any extension applies then right?, even though it's barely touching the house?

I don't mind losing the side access as there will be two. And could put a door from the extension to the side access anyway. Also I’m assuming in theory an extension like this would be cheaper than normal as it would require very little alteration to the existing home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There was a discussions thread a while ago that debated whether an “extension” that had no access could be considered an exempt extension (class 1).

I was on the side that access was not required as long as the extension was truly part of the house. Some agreed, some disagreed.

I see why you might want to position the structure there so as to allow light into the kitchen. But that adds another complexity. Exempt extensions can only be to the rear. It the structure above also to the side of the house? Maybe.

Only behind, and only to the side are clear, but the area where side and rear intersect is a grey area. This approach may need a confirmation that it is exempt.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

My 2c would be if not connected to the existing house it's not an extension, and, if what the OP has shown in diagram was connected to the existing house (and was considered an extension), planning permission would be required as it is not wholly to the rear of the existing house (extends to the side of the rear of the existing house).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,264 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Orientation of house and light impairment of build a consideration, esp. if 4m A roof apex

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement